Horse Slaughter issue, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by KingYaba, Sep 18, 2006.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

For those who don't know, here's a link. http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/horseban07.html

My thoughts are this is a complete waste of time. I don't see where the US gov. can just draw the line at the horse. What are we measuring, intelligence? Seems a little discriminatory to cows and chickens (or insulting?). I really don't like government telling me what animal I can, and can not eat. That bothers me the most.

Plus those horse owner's arguments.
    If there is a market for it, then more power to 'em! I say don't interfere! Let the market be the dictator of whether the horse meat industry goes under, not the government!

I hope this gets shot down in the Senate. John Cornyn supports this, Hutchison has not responded to me. :mad:

2. mpw Guest

L'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cheval, yum!

3. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

Banning eating an animal because it is an "American icon" is just rediculous. They should stop focusing on what species of animals are being slaughtered and focus on the horrid inhumane treatment of animals in the meat-packing industry. I also like how they showed pictures of horses with lacerated faces and said that it was inhumane. What makes that any different from chickens that have been debeaked and stacked in cages so they defacate on each other? Of course it's inhumane, but that doesn't mean we should stop eating chicken (though some people would argue otherwise). There's my 2¢.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i don't have any problem at all with it ... i think it's tasty: it's similar to beef but is stronger flavoured
    though i mostly have eaten dried sausages/salamis with it

... on the other side it's funny that it has been banned by papal decree from 750 or so untill roughly thousand years later and were only eaten by poorer people during that time, while now it's more of a expensive thing

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Hey, Bald Iggles don't taste near as good as Whoopin' Crane!

:), 'Rat

7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Now I'm a very strict veggie, but I completely disagree with the banning of horse meat. What makes a horse any more special than a cow? Or a sheep? Or... anything really. Apart from this, a whole load of other questions are raised like 'nanny state' or 'public freedom' issues. The whole thing is ridiculous.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Umm... sick? I sure hope those aren't the ones getting sold off as food.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

best quote from the article:

you gotta be kidding me.. it were one thing if endagered species would be killed but horses ? haha

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, the sick ones most likely aren't used for any food; maybe pet food, but I sorta doubt it. The old joke, of course, was "Gone to the glue factory."

Old animals aren't much good beyond pet food, anyway. At best, maybe, "horseburger". Mostly, though, hide, hair, hooves for glue, and bone meal.

'Rat

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's what I'd hope. Or that the Congresscritter quoted just doesn't know what he's talking about.

I've got nothing against horse slaughter per se. Just treat 'em right, right up until the end is all I ask of anyone who cares for an animal. No excuse for mistreating an animal just because it's going to be killed anyway.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Once the incisor teeth are worn down, all grazers/browser are on their way out. Cow, horse, deer, whatever.

Heck, old people have trouble with flattened incisors, as well. That's why we like softer foods. :)

'Rat

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm i just read that meat from older horses is in fact the better one .. at least that's the thing i'm reading online and that it actually contains less fat, and more proteins than beef

quite interesting

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

IMO, it's ridiculous. and the motivations a re plain laughable (edit: all animals raised for food should be treated as humanly as possible)

:D
    i suppose if you ignore apes, monkeys, lemurs, shrews, bats, mice, squirrels, rabbits, hares, porcupines, beavers, pigs, deer, cattle, goats, sheeps, camels, hippos, whales, dolphins, porpoises, walruses, seals, hyenas, mongooses, weasels, raccoons,bears, dogs, cats, rhinoceros, tapirs, zebras and donkeys he would be right.

15. Lau Guest

I've never eaten horse meat, but I would have no problem in doing so. Then again, I never really understood a particular attraction for horses and was never one of those little girls who wanted a pony. :p

I agree that animals for food should be treated far better than they currently are. Any outrage at the state of the horses in the article above should be equally directed at all the other animals killed for food — they're likely in just as bad a state.

16. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

if you haven't, you should read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser. Lots of things you didn't want to know about the slaughter of beef.

and of course, the day I finished that book, I went to McDonald's and had a big 'ol American artery choker Big Mac...mmmmmmmmm mmmm

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

One thing about horsemeat: No growth hormones. :)

I'm a natural food freak. Quail, dove, deer...

:D, 'Rat

18. mpw Guest

You'll love swan