Host a large file

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by ElectricMan5, Jun 25, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Will I be able to host a file about 6GB on my webserver just for a friend to download?

I know he can download it, but what may be some complications/after effects of him downloading? Would it use up my bandwidth (i really don't know what it is, so please explain if possible)

2. macrumors 603

redwarrior

It depends on the plan you have. You should check with your hosting provider. Your friend will not have any complications, but you may go over your limits.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. If I go over my limits, will I not be able to get internet access? I don't host files, and this is one of the only times i will.

4. macrumors 603

redwarrior

Usually they will just send you an email informing you that you surpassed your limits. You will not be denied Internet access or anything like that. If you were to exceed your limits habitually, then they would either charge you or drop you.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

6. macrumors 65816

morespce54

Just remember (check with your ISP) that upload limits are usually lower than download limits...