Hosting Recommendations

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Saluki Alex, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I've been working on a site for my fraternity and was hoping to get some recommendations for web-hosting companies. I'd like to find something pretty cheap but with no ads.

Thanks

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I too use DreamHost, but find them best if you need a lot of bandwidth and storage but aren't too concerned about constant uptime - they do tend to go down not infrequently. Still, I like them.

A Small Orange gets universal raves around here.

4. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Haha this question comes up all the time. Basically you have your two dominant answers above already. I use Reseller Zoom (Hosting Zoom) myself, but they have stopped offering the $5/month plan for new users I believe.. I can still get it though as a renewal..

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Dreamhost is working great for me now. When I first switched to them in early 2006, they seemed to have constant uptime problems all through summer. But for the last few months everything seems perfect and they're super helpful with everything too.

6. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I have been using Bluehost for quite a while, and have two domains with them. They are more of a professional hosting, but the rates are good when you look at the bandwidth, disk space and other options included.

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Dreamhost had a perfect storm of problems for a few months. I wasn't too affected but I felt really bad for them. I've hosted with them since 2003 and other than that little span of dying servers, they've been top-notch.

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

A Small Orange has been great for me. Excellent support and uptime. They have a $25/year plan which sounds like it would be just right for your frat site.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I use NearlyFreeSpeech. You only pat for the amount of traffic and storage you use instead of a fixed monthly fee.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i love ASO. they're great with support. excellent service.

11. abbottpc.com macrumors member

I also use them for my website. Anytime I have had a problem they get back to me within 30 min. There service is the best I have seen.

12. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

110mb.com is awesome. it's free but it has no ads and 1gb of storage

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wow -- had never heard of ASO before. I can't wait to say goodbye to my Godaddy hosted account and move over here! God, I missed not having IMAP! :)

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they are well worth it i must say. ASO are just great. i love their control panel too.
    hope you have a great experience with 'em too. :D

15. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Here's a little 'A Small Orange' story... A few months ago, an article on my website got Dugg. I just happened to be browsing my stats when the digging started -- at 11 pm on a Saturday night -- and noticed my monthly bandwidth was already almost completely used up. I sent a quick message to ASO tech support, and within 15 minutes they had added more bandwidth to my account (for a nominal fee). Keep in mind, they're located in Atlanta, so it was around 2:00am for them. My site survived the Digg weekend (and later reposts on Lifehacker, Engadget, etc.) without going down once.

I can't guarantee that you'll have the exact same experience with them, but these types of stories are not uncommon. Not the absolute cheapest host out there, but like they say... You get what you pay for.

16. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Anyone have any opinions of SteamLine, they over an 'unlimited' bandwidth/storage account for next to nothing.

I'm just after someone to provide a decent amount of cheap bandwidth in the UK, I'm not that bothered about uptime. I have a dedicated hosting box elsewhere, but that only comes with 20Gb of transfer a month, I just need somewhere else to chuck the bulk download stuff (about 100Gb a month).

Any optionions on SteamLine or any other alternatives I should conisder in the UK?

17. habibbijan macrumors member

Perhaps I'll get flamed for it, but I've had hosting at 1and1 (affiliate link) for a few years now. I currently have a business account that's hosting four different web sites.

They currently have a "$1.50 per month for six months" rate on their "beginner" package, which is not too shabby. That's the package I started with, but then one of my sites got "Dugg" so I moved up to the business package.

I've read some pretty bad reviews about them, but I haven't had any trouble. In the few times I've had to e-mail them, they've replied within 24 hours. I'm sure there are better hosts out there, but if you know what you're doing I doubt you'll have issues with 1and1 (non-affiliate). That's been my experience anyway.

18. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I use DreamHost and from the times I've accessed my site, I don't believe the whole server was down, although my site was down due to user error. I was having problems with FeedBurner not working due to high-server load so they moved me to a new server with no problem and then a small Apache configuration gone awry but they fixed that quickly too. For the money, I'd recommend them.

19. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I've got a site on Dreamhost as well, and it came recommended to me from the proprietor of another message board I frequent. Dreamhost's advantages are, as already noted in this thread, the generous bandwidth and hard disk space. But once your site grows beyond being a diminutive hole-in-the-wall type of site, you'll really be wishing for better processor power on the part of their servers.

20. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

That is a very convincing story :cool:

What size hosting plan did you start out with, and how much bandwidth did you need to handle the digg effect?

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Good summary. DreamHost is great if you're storing files offsite, using it to share videos of the kids with friends and family, or trying out web hosting. I think it's truly very good at those sorts of things, and I love it.

But I would never host a commercial site or one which I expect would get a lot of attention with them. They do fine hosting my MR pics and files (things too big to attach to posts), but none of my posts have thousands of people looking at them at once.

22. majorp macrumors 6502

another vote for a small orange, the best service ever.

23. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Are you looking for free-hosting or what?

Most universities allow RSOs (Registered Student Organizations) to host sites on the university's servers.

Free-hosting gives you nothing but ads, so that's a no go.

My fraternity (Sigma Nu Epsilon Delta Chapter) use GoDaddy.com. Really good! 4 year deal for 200 bucks. You get MySQL servers, SQL servers, PHP, ASP, HTML, XML, XSL, etc. Support, and it's easy to update.

To visit the site: Epsilon Delta.

Since I was voted out of my "website duties" a week ago, I don't update the site anymore, but it's nice from what I put out.

Just try and convince your chapter and your House Corporation to fork over the money!

Steve

24. JDF08990 macrumors newbie

Go Daddy

Yes! Go Daddy is great and inexpensive. If you also need help with web design and hosting you should check out FreeWebs.com Freewebs has templates and regular hosting and many other options. They have good products but Go Daddy has great support and cheaper prices... I would go with Go Daddy.. and domains are usually on sale for $1.99 with out private WhoIs...

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Who do you use for web hosting?

I honestly have no idea where to ask this question but I need to find a site that lets me make a web page that supports php and mysql. All this site would be for is a little tiny database but php and mysql (and 10mb of space) are a requirement. I did a google search and there are a million options and I don't want to end up with a scam site. I don't have to really worry about bandwidth since only 4 people will be accessing it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a host that can provide this that is legit? I did a forum search but it didn't turn up much info.