Hosting recommendations?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by lamina, Jan 27, 2007.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I am building a very basic website for my good friend who is running for a political position at my university.

Does anyone have insight on what would be a good provider? He doesn't mind paying a little extra for stability and speed. Having iWeb capability would also be a huge bonus, but I don't know if this exists or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Veracon macrumors newbie

Personally I'm with Site5 (and I haven't experienced any of the stability problems some talk about), but I'm considering switching to A Small Orange. From what I've heard, they're a great host, and very reasonably priced.

Good luck in your search.

3. sepu macrumors regular

media temple its pretty well known ....

right now Im with dreamhost ... Its pretty good and they great deals.

4. abbottpc.com macrumors member

A Small Orange is a great hosting site. They are pretty cheap and they have great customer service. Anytime I have a problem they always help me out in a mater of minutes. I have never heard anyone have a problem with them.

5. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Also, try a search on this subject here, as it's been discussed at least a dozen times now. You'll find many more recommendations...

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

iWeb can connect to any host via FTP.

Media temple is good if you need a lot of space, but doesn't really suit your requirements. ASO has great feedback around here.

7. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

I've been using Bluehost.com for a few years now, hosting several sites with varying levels of complexity. 200GB space, Ruby on Rails, all the standard database stuff, etc. etc....

No problems with stability, even with a couple hundred thousand visitors a day. I peaked at 1 million over a single month with 7GB transfer in a single day, and Bluehost was solid as a rock throughout. Mac support is nothing special, but I can't really complain about that.

$7 a month is a steal as far as I'm concerned, and the features keep getting better. When I started I bargained for just the <10GB storage I signed up for, but they've steadily bumped me up to the 200GB current mark. I only use a fraction of it for my sites, but the space is really handy for off site backups!

8. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

maybe try eboundhost.com. I recently signed up and they are great;)

9. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

while we're here

While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a providor that will allow me to host about 100-200mb of video files for streaming without having to pay mega £££?

10. erikpmort macrumors regular

erikpmort