Hosting

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jammer08, Sep 27, 2006.

1. jammer08 macrumors member

Have any of you guys ever used or hear anything about the web hosting company 1 & 1 (www.1and1.com)? I'm looking into them and just wanted some prior input. Thanks.

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I'd personally recommend Dreamhost. Reliable and not too expensive.

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Seconded on Dreamhost. We've been using them for almost five years, awesome. Plus I went to college with the guys who started it (I like working with people I know I can trust).

www.dreamhost.com

Feel free to tell them that Todd from Greydayproductions sent you, we get a discount for referrals (and you might get something too, but I may be remembering that wrong).

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You didn't really ask for other inputs, but I'll give my opinion anyway. ;)

I signed up with asmallorange several months ago and they are absolutely great.

Highly recommended!

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

I second asmallorange as well, very good service, good rates. Dreamhost seems to be overselling big time from what I heard.

6. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I used 1and1 a couple years ago, but I wasn't too thrilled with them so I didn't renew my contract. I was mainly disappointed in the customer service, or lack thereof. I still register my domains through them though.

Now for my recommendation, I say try GalaxisWeb. My best friend started it, and their cheapest plan ($3/month) likely has enough storage and bandwidth to meet your needs.

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Contract? I would never use a company that requested a contract, that seems ridiculous.

8. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

For the record, it was free. ;)

But the service was so bad there was no way I was going to pay them.

9. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Free with a contract is...well, odd. Did they do mandatory ads or something to offset their costs? Just curious how that, as a business model, would work...

10. macdad2 macrumors member

Another vote for ASO ( A Small Orange). I switched my site recently and also switched my daughter's school website. They've been great! They have fantastic support - very personal. No complaints so far in 4 months.

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Hey, this place looks fantastic. If I sign with them, i'll make sure to get your email first (they need your email or promo code to credit you with $97)

yt

12. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

I would recommend either TextDrive or A Small Orange.

Dreamhost is the devil of the hosting business.

13. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

That would be rad, thank you kindly! Honestly, in almost five years we've never had a major problem, and never had a problem of any kind that wasn't sorted within an hour or so...

PLUS when they run specials, you can often switch your plan over at no cost. My plan was $39.99 and they had a $19.99 for life one-time special, and all I did was sign up for it, no cost and no switchover, and now we pay less. I love that they don't penalize you for already using their services when they have special deals...

14. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

And we have a counterpoint! Any reason you feel this way?

15. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I use 1and1, and I've been very happy with them.

16. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

They oversell. you can get a plan with 2 terabytes of transfer, 80 bajillion gigabytes of storage, etc etc etc for only $20/yr.... pathetic.

Their servers are overloaded and give you nothing to work with. If your idea of fun is waiting by all means, dreamhost all you want. But if you want a stable service with a lot of extra functionality then go with TextDrive, if you merely want a nice little hosting company to host your images or whatever... then I highly recommend A Small Orange.

TextDrive/Joyent have their Mixed Grill plan right now.. $500 for lifetime hosting, that includes 15 hosted domains, unlimited email addresses, unlimited aliases, 2 gigabytes of storage, 20 gigs of transfer (compressed if it's html or text). 20 gigs of storage at StrongSpace.com, and 5 users on Joyent.

Pretty good deal. They are moving to Solaris Containers by the end of the year giving you something similar to a VPS but also maintained by the staff so you don't have to worry about security updates. So you get root if you want it, if you dont' want it, it's no big deal.

That is a steal for $500

17. trueheart78 macrumors member

What exactly are you looking to use it for, simple web hosting?

I've been with them for about 6 months, and they've been good. I got the $5 / month plan linux hosting, not bad getting everything they give to you. 2 free domains for life, decent amount of space and mysql databases. Only downer is the db's are only usable from on there server, no remote connecting. That's not too great if you do a lot of remote development locally yet publish to the web too... if that makes any sense.

I believe they have a 30 day money-back guarantee or something, might see how it works out for you.