Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

padré

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
I remember when Oblivion came out, my pc i had at the time couldn't handle it and had to run it on low low low. Got it again on the 360 and was much improved but i still prefer the pc version. Will have a look at the next iMac refresh to see what kind of graphics they are sporting. Ideally id like the 21" with improved graphics as the 27 is too big for me.

I actually think the system requirements will be fairly low. I'm sure most computers (even if they are a bit older) will be able to run it. You have to keep in mind that the developers want the PC / PS3 / XBOX 360 version to look similar. And seeing how the hardware for both PS3 and XBOX 360 hasn't changed and is still the same as the hardware they had to utilize for Oblivion, they probably will keep the system requirements for the PC on par with what an XBOX or PS3 is able to do... if that makes any sense.

Of course the PC version will be the better looking one, and require a bit more horsepower. But I really think we'll be able to play this game on fairly low settings... (or at least I hope so ;)

-Brun

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm dreading the System Requirements already...

Fingers crossed this thing will run on my MBP or it is very scalable. The original ran well on my 3.2Ghz P4. My MBP (sig) is better...

Oh, what would be really cool is to be able to run around Cryodill in its entirety with quests linked in both areas. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm dreading the System Requirements already...

Oblivion was a very high-end-machines-only type of game when it came out, and to play Skyrim on maxed settings when it comes out... oh boy...

I'll probably get around to doing a boot camp partition sometime before it comes out (using parallels now, and I hate to say it sucks for gaming with not enough RAM) but still. I don't even want to guess the SysReqs because I hate big numbers...

I wouldn't worry about it. Considering this game is being developed for the Xbox and PS3 as well; the system requirements wont be high. The great thing about having such underpowered consoles now is that PC versions run really well (barring GTAIV, because that was sloppy).

(thanks to this New Vegas runs flawlessly on medium settings on my 5 year old iMac!)

Venkman90

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2009
I remember when Oblivion came out, my pc i had at the time couldn't handle it and had to run it on low low low. Got it again on the 360 and was much improved but i still prefer the pc version. Will have a look at the next iMac refresh to see what kind of graphics they are sporting. Ideally id like the 21" with improved graphics as the 27 is too big for me.

Although you are right about Oblivion, that was when the 360 first came out, the best part of how long the current consoles are lasting is that games need to work on them as well as PC so sysreq's are far lower. Being able to run BC2 on a 9400m for example (as bad as it does run, you can play it).

I hope Skyrim will be playable well on current Mac's (2010 range upwards).

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the 2 posts above before hitting reply, forgive my echo ;)

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
I can run Oblivion pretty much maxed out, with a few dozen mods, on my Mac Pro (under bootcamp), with the GT 120.

But I'm already setting aside my pennies for the burliest video card I can afford, this fall.

I have an embarrassing number of hours into the Elder Scrolls, between Morrowind and Oblivion. To say I'm excited about Skyrim is an understatement. :)

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Morrowind along with Deux Ex are 2 of my favourite games of all time. This is going to be a great year for me. Skyrim and Deux Ex 3! Might have to book a few days off work :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Oh yes days. Playing for a few hours after work wont satisfy me. Normally takes me at least half an hour to decide on my character setup! :p

I'm guessing the point Dagless was making was "only 'days'?!?"

I had over 500 hours on Oblivion alone, and only stopped when the save-game was corrupted. My resolution for 2012 is: "Skyrim". :p

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Normally takes me at least half an hour to decide on my character setup! :p
I had about six setups, and always did a save, right before and right after leaving the sewer. That way I could always easily start a new game.

Another 30 odd years to go :D
I managed to get an early retirement, took a buyout, and still managed to keep my pension, and all medical benefits. Retired when I was 50.;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm guessing the point Dagless was making was "only 'days'?!?"

I had over 500 hours on Oblivion alone, and only stopped when the save-game was corrupted. My resolution for 2012 is: "Skyrim". :p

As I recall I was up around 450 or so when I burned out on The Isles expansion. God, I'm hoping I'll be amazed at this new edition and hopefully they get rid of the ugly people. :)

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Oh yes days. Playing for a few hours after work wont satisfy me. Normally takes me at least half an hour to decide on my character setup! :p

only a half an hour? I often mull over ideas and plan stuff out for many hours (or days) ... gotta have the right character(s)! Oblivion isn't as hard to do that on since its mostly skill based, and could save it at the sewer exit and make any character you want quickly.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I bet that the preorders on Skyrim are gonna be off the charts. It is amazing how popular Oblivion still is.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm curious how many people will be playing this game on Mac/Windows, vs PC, vs Xbox 360? (I don't know if it is on PS.)

Based on my experience with Oblivion, I want to play this on my Mac/Windows because I want to have access to all the mods. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Definitely PC for me. Better graphics and choice of keyboard+mouse or controller (depends on how much precision is needed). Plus I didn't really get into Oblivion until I got the PC GOTY edition and loaded up a few mods.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Definitely PC for me. Better graphics and choice of keyboard+mouse or controller (depends on how much precision is needed). Plus I didn't really get into Oblivion until I got the PC GOTY edition and loaded up a few mods.

This is a great example where a game can be improved substantially based on the 3rd party mods. Some were just outstanding, things like no psychic guards, saddle storage, companions, appearance mods. You could even disable the main quest if you so desired. For some reason Bethesda used some of the ugliest character models I've ever seen.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This is a great example where a game can be improved substantially based on the 3rd party mods. Some were just outstanding, things like no psychic guards, saddle storage, companions, appearance mods. You could even disable the main quest if you so desired. For some reason Bethesda used some of the ugliest character models I've ever seen.

And they didn't improve with Fallout 3 either!

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I've also spent way, way too many hours playing the X360 version of oblivion. I can't decide whether to get the X360 version for a 5 year old xbox and risk loosing my saved games if it bites the bullet, or getting a new iMac so i can actually play it at decent settings...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've also spent way, way too many hours playing the X360 version of oblivion. I can't decide whether to get the X360 version for a 5 year old xbox and risk loosing my saved games if it bites the bullet, or getting a new iMac so i can actually play it at decent settings...

My guess is the 360 version will look ok. Then it all comes down to do you want to spend the cash? :) Because of mods, I'm leaning PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.