Hot Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Astral Cars, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Astral Cars macrumors regular

May 11, 2005
    St. Paul
    Hey guys, I just got a new 15" Powerbook 1.5GHz. I love it. My question is this though: is there a good way to know if the fans are on or what the comps temperature is? Is there a widget that tells you the system temp? Sometimes the thing feels really hot. Also, any other tips about using it would be great. Thanks.
  2. xinxin macrumors member

Apr 13, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia

Have you heard about apple is claiming some powerbook battery back for a free exchange coz some battery in powerbook 12" 15" caused fire. I recieved this letter which was sent to Victorian schools.

You might have to check on website about battery high temp issue. Or a quick check is to see where is that battery made, Korea or China. Fautly batteries are made in korea.
  3. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2004
    A good program that I have used is X Resource Graph
  4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2005
    Good info from xinxin, but to answer your question, I use and like X Resource Graph. Its free, and covers CPU usage, memory usage, battery status, temperature, fan speed, and various other things. Its always in the background, and I have it on the left side of the screen, always visible.

You can find it at Resource Graph/ .

The same site also offers a widget called Dash Monitors, but it isn't free. I don't like widgets too much for stuff I want to check often, because of the loading delay of Dashboard. XRG is a much better deal, imho, since its free, always on, but not intrusive.

EDIT: Beat me by a millisecond!