hot powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by RoloTomasi, Aug 30, 2005.

1. RoloTomasi macrumors newbie

hiya

i have a powerbook G4 with 1GHz processor and i am running OS 10.3.9

it seems like it has been quicker and quicker to heat up these days - and i don't know if it is getting HOTTER, but it gets really hot (to the point where if i have the computer in my lap it is uncomfortable and my skin ends up pretty red - through clothes, not bare).

i know that laptops run warm, but at what point does a person start worrying? the fan kicks on but really doesn't seem to do much. it isn't the battery that gets warm, it is the right hand side of the computer more than the left.

plus, in looking in to this i have noticed people talking about what temperatures their computers are at - how do you check that anyway? or do i need tiger for that...

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The Powerbooks have had a reputation for running rather hot on the lap. I recomend putting a thick book under it, or using it on a table.

Temperature Monitor is a cool little app which can tell the temperature of your hard drive (i think), and that may give an indication of the general heat of your computer.

My iMac is running at 38 centigrade now :p

3. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

thanks for that link, i too have a 1ghz powerbook and it certainly gets a bit toasty. I put this down to changing my energy saving set up recently to maximise performance with the ac adaptor connected. Just installed the widget and the cpu is at 53 degrees C topside. Is this good or bad? Battery is at 37.

4. RoloTomasi thread starter macrumors newbie

5. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

iMac heat?

Im running am iMac G5 20", 10.4.2 , 768 RAM 160 G
    the temp widget tells me its usually around 55-60C
    the fan is not running, if it is I can't hear it!
    Is this a normal temp?
    I was just about to post this thread too?
    R

6. RoloTomasi thread starter macrumors newbie

temps

well it seems to run at about 40 C / 104 F if i am just running iTunes or soemthing like that, a few degrees more if i am typing away or actively doing something..

is that TOO hot? should i be worried?

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I keeps seeing threads about heat concerning 'books so let me clarify:

->YOUR 'BOOK WILL SHUT OFF BEFORE ITS STARTS TO MELT<-​

2) HEAT IS ONLY AN ISSUE [ON A LAPTOP] WHEN IT HEATS UP YOUR TESTICLES TO THE POINT OF STERILIZATION.

now relax and enjoy :)

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

hahahaha. But what about for the ladies ;) ... What i say to do is get one of those icey packs that isnt wet (some have gel or whatever and don't create condensation on the outside) and put them on the 'books for a minute or two to cool it down a smidge. It works wonders for your nads.

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

There was a post up here on macrumors not too long ago about the guy who fried eggs on his PB , sent the video to apple and asked them if the PB should be running so hot...
    I cant find the link to it though...
    some of the Al PB's run very hot, I know mine after doing intensive work gets too hot to touch in the upper left corner, I mean blisters not just red skin... :confused:

10. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

When you say eggs, you mean chicken eggs right?... :p

people worry too much

11. YoYoMac macrumors regular

YoYoMac

My 17" PB would never go above 140F no matter what I did to it. I'm talking FCP, Motion, Photoshop, and a host of little programs.

12. The_J_Man macrumors newbie

Can this amount of heat affect my hard drive?

My powerbook seems to get hot also, however when mine starts to heat up my audio goes haywire - if i play any audio after it gets hot it fades in and out, gets extremely loud and after a while everthing is static. Could heat have anything to do with my audio problem? I just checked the heat temps with temp monitor and they read:
    Power Supply Bottomside : 63.8 C°
    Battery : 40 C°
    Processor Bottomside 60.8 C°
    Processor/Controller Bottomside 62.5 C°
    and the other one 49 C°

Are these unusuall? :confused:

13. California macrumors 68040

California

I was very calmly told by apple upon purchase of my first powerbook that the little rubber feet on the bottom of the pb are necessary to raise the case and allow air flow in order to keep PBs cool.

I took that bit of advice a bit further and purchased an "Ice Pad" by Macally that allows air flow up and under the pb. You also can open up the stand and use it as a lap desk, with the air channels still functioning.

As my machines age, I am more and more careful about heat because this stresses the logic board and hard drive.

But the 1ghz PB Tibooks had two fans installed in their board in order to keep things cool. Don't know about the Al book or iBooks -- I think they onlyhave one fan.

14. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I'm actually cold right now, so I'd welcome a PB warmer. :)

And anyway, sterilize deeze nutz. I'm gay, so I'm not popping out any babies. I sit in the hot tub/steam room/sauna at 24 hour fitness enough that the little guys are probably all cooked anyway.