Hot Stove thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sayhey, Nov 25, 2005.

1. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

OK, the off-season has begun to heat up with the trades of Beckett (to Boston,) Thome (to the ChiSox,) and Delgado (to the Mets.) I thought a wish list of sorts was in order for all of us in the throws of Baseball withdrawals. My own starts with one or two starting pitchers (Burnett, Morris, and/or Washburn would do nicely) added to the Giants starting rotation, plus a slugging left handed bat to come off the bench (Burnitz?.) I wouldn't mind if the Giants could unload Alfonzo to some unsuspecting team, but that would be wishing for too much wouldn't it? Of course, all of the above, except Alfonzo, presumes the Giants are willing to spend some money to make a run at a Series title in Bonds and Alou's last year of their contracts. Any others wishing for off-season miracle make overs?

2. macrumors 601

eva01

Don't forget Lowell in the deal with beckett to the Red Sox.

And i want Furcal to be the Sox new Second Baseman. A man can dream can't he ;)

3. macrumors 68020

thedude110

As a Sox fan, I'm torn about this Beckett deal. I don't like giving up Hanley Ramirez, and Beckett is far from a sure thing health wise. The best part of the trade might be getting Guillermo Mota. Call it sour grapes, but I'm not sure Theo would have pulled the trigger on this one.

And the Marlins. What a disgrace.

And the White Sox are nuts. I know they've got a kid coming up behind Rowand, but dealing Rowand's glove, and his consistent clutch production, for the whiffs of Thome? I think Podsednik's run production will fall off considerably this season. I never thought I'd say this, but Jim Thome is no Paul Konerko.

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Absolutely! it's what this thread is all about. Don't you think Lowell is damaged goods though? He may comeback to his old form, but if the Sox are hoping for him to fill in for a departing Manny they will be making a huge mistake, imo. About Furcal, everything I hear is that he wants to stay a shortstop and is unlikely to go anywhere that won't allow that to happen.

5. macrumors 601

eva01

If lowell is damaged goods, then so is Beckett in my opinion due to his shoulder problem. But for some reason the Red Sox love Damaged goods.

If furcal wants to play short then i have no problem with moving Edgar to second. I just can't put up with this not having a second baseman or a #2 spot in the lineup. It has been getting very annoying over the past 5 or so years that i have been paying heavy attention. No more Todd Walker or Bellhorn crap. I want a real second baseman and #2 hitter.

And if Manny does go away, maybe the red sox can replace him with Konerko?

6. macrumors 68020

As a Mets fan, I can only say this:

WE GOT DELGADO!!!

Now all we need is a decent second baseman, catcher, and outfeilder, and a much needed reliever.

7. macrumors 601

eva01

the streakiest hitter in all of baseball.

You wont even know he is on your team for 3 months of the year.

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

If you want to get rid of Beckett, I'd love for the Giants to have him. Seriously, it's all a gamble but Beckett is worth the risk.

dotdotdot, as a Giants fan, all I can say is, so far, we've got nothing. :(

9. macrumors 601

eva01

Nah i love taking chances on people.

Has worked out in the past ^_^ I am very happy so far with what is happening with the Red Sox.

10. macrumors G3

Counterfit

After all the hubbub about Hanley Ramirez, they deal him away for (yet another) potentially injury-riddled pitcher? I thought that was part of the reason they didn't re-sign Pedro.

11. macrumors 68020

thedude110

The Blue Jays totally overpaid for BJ Ryan. When they said they were going to make in impact in the free agent market, I thought they meant they were going to do more than drive up the price of Billy Wagner!

And this Billy Wagner signing. If the Mets make a deal for Manny (and last I saw they were willing to deal Floyd, Heilmann and a minor leaguer) -- God. Their payroll.

12. macrumors 601

eva01

If the Red Sox even think about that deal for more than 2 minutes I will be outrageously pissed off.

That is a pathetic deal in my opinion. I really don't want Cliff Floyd back on the Red Sox

13. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The Mets got burned last time they threw huge dollars at the free agent market, but I like their chances better this time. Even the Mets can't come up snake eyes all the time, can they? ;)

14. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think the Thome-Rowand trade was a bad trade. Thome is over the hill, and they should of focused more on re-signing Konerko.

The Mets also over paid for Wagner, and the Jays over paid for Ryan. Is a closer really worth over 10 mill a year if your not say, Rivera, Gangne, or Smoltz (back when he was closer?)

15. macrumors 68020

thedude110

Bob Ryan had suggested the possibility of Wright, Heilman and a minor leaguer for Manny, assuming the Mets would absorb a significant portion of his contract. I don't think that's an awful deal -- Heilman is pretty good and Wright is going to be a long time all star.

But I agree with you -- I don't want Cliff Floyd either.

16. macrumors 6502

As a Yankees fan, i would like to see them get moving. Part of me wishes they would keep Bernie, but i don't see it happening :( so they need someone to replace him. I read an article on espn.com about maybe moving A-Rod or Jeter to center, but that just seems crazy! If the pitchers could stay healthy we would be ok, i think.

17. Sox
    macrumors regular

I love the Beckett trade. Love it. Most of his "injury problems" have been due to blister trouble, which doesn't bother me as much. He's had shoulder problems, but it doesn't seem to a recurring thing (IIRC, only one of his injury stints was for his shoulder), and I think it was only tendinitis - not the "torn labrum" that Pedro is rumored to have. I think calling a 25 year old World Series MVP "damaged goods" is a little overblown. In fact, since he hasn't ever pitched more than 200 innings in a season, his arm is in better shape then most kids his age - and we have to remember that he's the same age as Jonathan Papelbon. I'm excited to see him pitch.

Furcal is a fine player, and I think the Braves will miss him (assuming he leaves) especially with Omar Minaya wheeling and dealing with no regard for monetary constraints. I think I read that he may be looking at the Dodgers.

I hope and pray everyday that the Red Sox do not trade Manny Ramirez. There's just no way to get fair value for him. And it's not a matter of making up his offensive production with a combination of two or three players. Mark my words: if they trade Manny, Ortiz will set records for intentional walks and the Sox will finish in third or fourth place in the AL East.

It will be interesting to see where the Yankees go for a CF? Can Giles play center? Or would they move Matsui over and let Giles play left? I think Jeter would be a fine CF.

18. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

a-fraud would suck in center. look how slow he is playing third base... gimme a break there... and jeter? maybe not a bad option, but you're not going to get a better shortstop... the yankees ought to *gasp* use their farm system to fill the spot?

bj ryan must be laughing all the way to the bank...

and what are the orioles thinking? no more palmiero, sosa, or ryan? i understand that palmiero had to go... and sosa sucked last year, but when you pay a guy that much i think you give him at least two years... and now we don't have a closer either? so no run support, and no pitching... looks like another great season in baltimore...:rolleyes:

and don't even get me started on how the owners keep screwing over the nationals... its the expo-syndrome all over again... no one wants to give them money to buy decent players...

19. macrumors 6502a

The one problem with that is Manny has said over and over again how he wants to go to the west coast. Anehiem is basically the only town that would care so little about him that he could feasibly live there. As a 10-5 player, he can veto any trade to the mets, and the way it's currently going, I doubt he would end up there (only reason for him to go is his old friend Pedro).

I'd love to see Zito go to the Sox and Konerko (I know it probably won't happen). If I'm still in my dream land, I want to see caberra come back as well as Mickenwitz (sp??). Oh yeah, how about a GM too??

The Mets, even with thier moneyball stratergy will have a very difficult time with the Braves. They just know how to win.

BEN

20. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You too? :( :(

We don't even have a manager.

21. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

The problem is they have anyone who can play center and hit with NY expectations in the farm system. Crosby is good, but not the greatest hitter. I would like to see Bernie come back, and have him platoon with Matsui, and Brosby. Or even better have them trade for an excellent defensive CF, such as Tori Hunter.

22. Sox
    macrumors regular

There's a better shortstop currently playing to Jeter's right. I'm not saying it's the best course of action (who plays third?), but it's possible.

I don't think Bernie will be back. Didn't they decline his option?

23. macrumors 68020

thedude110

God. What are the White Sox doing? Resigning Konerko is fine, but Konerko and Thome? Maybe they should sign Erubiel Durazo, too.

But I guess this means the end of the Carl Everett era in Chicago!

24. Sox
    macrumors regular

Per ESPN:

Giles has a preliminary agreement to re-sign with SD.

25. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

As a Phils fan I like it. We cleared some payroll, are letting the Rookie of the year play everyday, and getting a pretty good CF. Nice move.

Honestly, how can you not put Wagner in that group (I can understand Ryan)? As you said, smoltz is no longer a closer. Gangne has been injured so much that you don't know what he'll be like. Rivera is probably the best in the game, but he seems to be slipping slightly. Wagner is the second best closer in all of baseball at this current moment. How can you overpay the 2nd best player at a position?