Hot swapping batteries in iBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by SBG88, Mar 11, 2003.

1. SBG88 macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2003
    Can you do this in a newer 800 mhz iBook? Has anyone tried?
  2. t^3 macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2001
    I haven't tried, but to the best of my knowledge, only the 15" and 17" PowerBooks have this feature.
  3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    Apple Knwoledge Base

nope won't work unless you figured out how to maintain the connection of the power which seems impossible.
  4. conceptdev macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2002
    Try this - works on a PB G3.

Put the computer to sleep - with lid closed preferably.

Change battery as fast as humanly possibly.

Closest thing.
  5. timbloom macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    All the the recent powerbooks (12" powerbook may not) are able to do this because of a small, internal battery. This battery keeps the computer alive for a couple of minutes giving you enough time to do the battery swap. The iBook lacks this battery, as it is a "pro" feature according to Apple. I have tried it with my ibook 500 and it does not work.
  6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    yep a little internal battery is needed, i know it used to just be 4 batteries soldered together, it provided something like 4 minutes of backup for swapping. nice feature-- unfortunately, it's also the clock battery, so if you deplete it, it may wipe your PRAM settings...

7. SBG88 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2003
    I thought maybe you could as my iBook, when battery is very low, wil give me a warning saying I'm working on reserve battery. I suppose its a software issue for portables that can.