hot!!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AudiGuy, Jun 5, 2005.

1. AudiGuy macrumors regular

damn my 12 powerbook be gettin hot!!!!! hotter than my PC laptop it seems.....

all im running is safari and ichat. the hard temp is always around 46-48 degrees... is that normal? oh and i have it on my bed i dunno if that helps raise the temp or not. whats the normal temp if youre just running safari and ichat?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sounds just about right. The CPU on my iBook G4@800 normally lies between 50 and 60°C when I run iTunes/AirTunes and Safari with a couple of tabs whilst connected to power (and 35-45°C on battery typically running iTunes (but normally NOT AirTunes) and Safari). When I fire up Classic and/or rip CDs the temperature quickly raises to 66-67°C at which point the fan kicks in...

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Any laptop, if you defeat the cooling, it will overheat, and this can be A Bad Thing TM

Fellow here kept his Powerbook in a desk drawer, asleep. Of course, no ventillation -- the machine woke up for some reason, in the drawer, and literally caught fire. Apple issued their Powerbook Battery recall two days later...

So if you're on a bed, make sure that the fabric isn't blocking any vents. Better yet rig up a tray affair that guves a solid surface for it.