Hot.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chundles, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Bloody hell it's hot today, it's 4pm and 33 degrees. In early October that's damned hot - means it probably nicked 35 at the peak today and for just under two weeks into spring that doesn't bode well for summer - 40 is going to hurt, any hotter is going to be really nasty. The winds are up too and from what I've heard it's gonna be a shocker of a bushfire season. Hope it's not like 2003 when they lost 2.6 million hectares of land to fire (6.5 million acres) in NSW, Vic and the ACT alone. 70% of the ACT was burnt.

I've just been on an endless winter working holiday so it's my first summer in two years hence the reaction to the heat - that and I hate fire season soooo much.

2. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Yeah, that's a touch on the warm side. Up here (or down here, I guess however you look at it) it was a nice fall day at 22 (a little weird getting off the ice from our hockey game and then getting smacked with the sun and heat). Where about are you down there? When I was there, took Christmas vacation through the outback (bloody weird, the heat that is, on Christmas day) and our therm go up to 58. Man that was hot. Actually climbed the rock when it got to about 50 (actually started earlier in the day cause they apparently shut it down if it gets above 37 or something like that) and sun baked up there for awhile. Hope there's no crazy campers starting fires this year

3. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

I'm on the coast about an hour and a quarter south of Sydney. 35 is hot for the coast, I'm actually glad for the breeze as it's keeping the humidity away. I just spent my Christmas and most of your winter in Lake Louise watching the thermometer touch -46.

As for the heat during Christmas, it is kinda cool when you can do the Christmas thing and then go to the beach. My Christmas lunches have always been big fresh seafood platters, Lobsters, Prawns, Balmain Bugs, Crabs, and always lots of good fresh fruit like mango and pineapple and stuff. Christmas in winter over there isn't too weird for me, for one all the carols make sense...

Yeah, it's pretty hot out in the centre - never been there myself but I'm told 65 is not uncommon in some parts. Worst I've been in was 51 in Phoenix AZ when I was a kid growing up there. Here it was probably 48 but I was playing cricket that day - standing out in the sun all day was not fun.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

its 9° (49F) here right now.

Just a tad under my optimal temperature 13° (55F)

5. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

See now 9 would be nice.

6. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

What the heck is a Balmain Bug? I thought Yabbies was a strange name (quite tasty though). Are they similar?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Clearly it's a creature that lives in expensive evening dresses.

8. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Currently 34 in my room. I must say winter wasn't very cold this year, hopefully summer doesn't get too hot... stupid global warming.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

10. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

A Yabby is a freshwater crustacean, a Balmain Bug is a type of slipper lobster with no pincers. Not as popular as the rock lobster here but it tastes divine - ugly little buggers though...

http://faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID=72

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm from Toronto, and I live in the same city as Chundles, and I can tell you that I hate heat. Yes, even the "heat" in the autumn. By winter, I mean 20-25C.

I realize that the temperatures in Toronto reach 30-35 C in the summer, but I'm not a "heat" person at all. I really do love cold days.

12. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Tronno eh?

Where are ya in the gong?

I'm hoping this isn't your first summer down under, cause I think you might be in for a rough ride seeing as you're a fellow winter person - gonna be a stinker.

Winter this year was really warm too but the snow season was strange, either lots of good snow or bugger all, last year we had 3m and it was a very good season - I picked a good year to work.

By the way I love Toronto, it was such a nice change after 6 months trapped in the Bow Valley to finally see a big city again with traffic and culture and more than 2 roads. Although on my last day there it hit 24 degrees and I thought I was going to die - I was accustomed to wearing TShirts and Shorts at about 5 or 10 degrees so 24 was a nightmare.

13. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Freaky looking buggers

Oh, the Gong as in Wollongong, actually passed through there while I was down-under

14. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Today's max is 15 celcius here in London. Quite nice and the sun's just come out. I like 15-20 degrees C. I hate hot weather. 'specially in the UK. We don't seem to be able to manage hot without humid.

15. dcv macrumors G3

It's too cold for me :( I've had to put the heating on... I much prefer 20-25°C.

16. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

It's funny, a 15 degree max in Sydney would have them all getting around in big coats and scarves and wooly socks. I love laughing at the Sydneysiders in winter when they're rugged up and I'm in jeans and a tshirt.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Today was a nice sunny 22°C for me. Just how I like it. :)

I'm looking forward to the summer. I can't wait to get back in the pool.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

We didn't get snow this year. :confused: Anyway, I don't live too far from the Uni.

And yeah, it'll be my first summer down under. Last winter I went home to the T-dot. Summer break at Uni (ie: Nov til Feb). Too bad it didn't snow often in Toronto during that time, but sometimes it would snow like crazy!

I'm going to have to get the windows of my car tinted dark. UV sucks, and so does stepping into a boiling hot car. :mad:

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good luck with that. :)

20. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Snow season at the ski resorts.

Snow in Wollongong would mark the beginning of an ice age.

21. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Um, that might help a little but there's no getting around getting into a boiling hot car here. You could wind the windows down and crank the A/C on full and you will still be stepping into a car that's hotter than hell.

22. kjwebb macrumors regular

Good thing it was only (according to the BOM website (http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDN10035.txt and scroll to the bottom)) 26 degrees here in the ACT.

Hopefully we won't get another bushfire this summer (there is a lot of bush around the nations capital) otherwise it may be a horrible summer.

At least we have had a bit of rain (dams are at 60.03% capacity (http://www.actew.com.au/) (they used to be about 45-55% capacity depending on how much it rained or didn't rain) so water restrictions may be put back to level 1 from level 2 (although they are not as bad as Sydney's restrictions).

23. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Going to be a nice 84°F (29°C) here in Charlotte today... it's funny that it will usually get colder here in Charlotte in the winter than more northernly cities such as Seattle or London.

But of course, we have MANY more sunny days. My saying about rain in Charlotte is that, unlike Seattle or London, we have the common decency to get it over with. We'll get an inch of rain in an hour, where in other places that same inch can be stretched across a week.

24. dcv macrumors G3

My central heating has now given me a headache :(

I need to move to sunnier climes...

25. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I love a hot climate, people complain when it is 95F/35C and I don't understand why.