Hotel Chain Blocks CNN

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by beatsme, Nov 18, 2006.

1. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

Hotel Chain Blocks CNN over footage of snipers shooting at American soldiers. I guess no news is good news...

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Who needs goverrment censorship when the idiotic masses are so eager to do it themselves?

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the article:
    yeah, thanks for protecting me, asswipe.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Imagine the uproar if it was that bastion of morality FOX News. :rolleyes:

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

He has the right not to show specific TV channels in his chain of hotels.

And you have the right not to stay in his hotels.

So it all kinda balances out, hmm?

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Of course he has the right, but it's kinda a dumb thing to do. And for a kinda dumb reason. Especially given the current political climate.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Part of having principles means that you don't pay attention to "the current political climate".

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

As long as he puts a notice under his "Free Cable" sign that CNN isn't on the menu. I'd definitely be po'd if I got in the room and found out the TV was being censored.

Actually, I'd probably have a hard time finding a place to stay in your neck of the woods, what with all the jesus advertising and all plastered on the majority of small, privately owned hotels and motels. Hmmm, maybe that's why any part of the confederacy is simply off my radar screen when it comes to travel....

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Someone's feeling their oats. ;)

I wonder how long this ban will remain and what other content the hotel feels they should block for the good of their customers?
    It's a very 'daddy-state' thing to do, really. What if a hotel blocked MacRumors on their internet firewall? How would you feel as a customer, who has paid for a room, an internet connection, etc. if you couldn't access something you liked? Forget that it's CNN, think of how this would affect you, would you still have the same attitude?

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, I would. I also wouldn't go there again, unless he offered to discount the room because of the lack of MR.

You see, the owner of the hotel has made a conscious choice not to carry CNN in his hotel rooms anymore. I am sure that he realizes that this may cost him some amount of business... just as I am sure that he may actually GAIN some business from this (from people who feel as he does). If he feels like not carrying CNN anymore, that's his call... just as it might be your call not to stay in his hotels.

And it's not a 'daddy-state' thing to do because, hey! he's not a government. You have a choice to go elsewhere.

11. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Confederacy? MO, IL, WI, and IA were not in the Confederacy. Maybe you should take that sm(Ugg) attitude and apply it to geography and history. :p

12. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Stoney Creek Des Moines:

You can always get CNN online. :)

You could always stay at the Motel 6. They have "data ports" on their telephones, which provide blazing fast dial-up speed. :rolleyes:

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

My point wasn't that he was acting as a government, but that he was acting as a father for his customers and deciding what they can and cannot watch.

I'm not saying he can't do it, I'm saying he shouldn't, I don't want every single business to try to instill their own particular moral framework upon their customers. It's a little ridiculous, and I'd ask for either the channel to be enabled in my room or for some recompense.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there's already a technical mechanism in place in many hotels for residents to enable or disable adult material. i do agree with the daddy-state comment, but i'd be fine with implementing that technology for different types of content so long as the customer had a convenient and free way to get the content.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

More power to him if that is how he feels.

Of course it may cost him business, then again, he might gain some business base upon this decision.

On a side note, I wonder why CNN doesn't show our snipers shooting the terrorists/insurgents? ;)

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, God forbid that he take an interest in how his business is run. :rolleyes:

Every business owner has to make "moral" decisions concerning their business. Restaurants and bars have to decide whether they will serve alcohol or allow smoking; clothing shops have to decide whether they will sell leather goods or stick only to "animal-friendly" attire; bookstores have to decide whether they will sell adult magazines; and so on. The customer (you) has no real say in this process beyond your decision to give them your business or not. You may ask for compensation for the lack of CNN in your room, but he is under NO obligation to compensate you.

17. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

the last time I stayed in a hotel that got 300KB download speeds, the TV never came on. Who cares if he blocked CNN from the TV, watch CNN online.

18. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's fine, it's not as though every hotel carries every possible channel anyway. As long as they aren't advertising that they carry the channel, it's like, whatever.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Probably because they find the accompanying whooping and high fives a less than edifying spectacle.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Might be! ;)

Although, the videos that I've seen are much more graphic due to the type of sniper weapons being used. Basically, if a marine sniper sees any part of you, you will be obliterated. And there are no high fives or any other verbal/edifying spectacles from those professionals.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Can you prove that?

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just based upon the numerous unofficial videos that I have seen.

The videos that many people see are the ones where someone calls in CAS to obliterate a target or are a group of folks who come under attack and they are responding. Hence you hear the high fives of folks who are happy to have survived their encounter.

If you are a sniper, you are out as a sniper team and are not wanting to expose yourself because many times you are behind lines as they say. True snipers lurk for days waiting for their shots, which are usually head shots but sometimes body shots. Once the shot is made, they move out of their hide position quickly and quietly to another area to ensure their survival.

BTW, in the videos that I have seen, the target usually comes apart into a few pieces. The whole person is no longer whole. Body parts go flying. This is due to the kinetic energy from the round that is used.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thanks for explaining this hotel owner's obligations to his customers. I feel so much better knowing that he hasn't got any.

However else you might feel about this, it is a perfect example of priggish political correctness in action.

24. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

The cases are hardly equivalent.

If a restaurant wants to provide a non-smoking or non drinking environment, that affects every customer. There are externalities involved in smoking and drinking.

If a hotel allows people to watch CNN in their own rooms, it affects no-one else unless they have the volume turned up really loud.

This guy is a tard. I hope he meets with some thugs in the night.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Where do you get such gory stuff and why do you watch them? Don't you think it's sort of sick to glorify death?