Hotel Dusk

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Has anyone tried this game yet? I was thinking about going and picking it up, but I'm always wary of single player games because I beat them and never play them again, so I try to only get ones that are really good (Mario and Luigi, Partners in Time, Kirby Canvas Curse, probably Zelda Phantom Hourglass when it comes out, etc).

If someone who's gotten it could say what they think of it I'd really appreciate it.

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wow! It's out! hehe. import time. Love these kind of games, especially for long journeys.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Ok this game looks interesting and if its anything like trace memory then I'm all for it.

I have notice people talking about this game being hard to find....come on not another DS game hunt.

Bless

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Ha! I was going to make a thread about this. Finally, picked it up today in Target after looking everywhere for it yesterday and today. If you are at all interested and you see a copy I'd pick one up, as I think it'll be hard to find down the line.

Very interesting game, so far, quite slow moving. It does also work with the rumble pack which is cool.

6. sturigdson macrumors regular

Sky Blue stole my comment. I, too, was gonna start a Room 215 thread, and just found this one!

So I also picked up a copy. Saw it was released yesterday, found myself by the Nintendo World Store in NYC, and dropped in for a copy.

I'm really really enjoying it. Truly a masterpiece of art- beautifully, evocatively done. Really pulls you in. It's quite a strange game- I've found myself pondering about these characters through the day when I'm not playing- something that really doesn't happen often to me with games.

Good good stuff. How far are you, Blue?

7. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Well, based on what people on here (and some reviews) said I went out and got it. I agree with the previous posters that it's slow. Very slow. But it's also fun. Normally games like this, where I have to read a ton of stuff and very little is happening bore me quickly, but this one I'm interested in. Along with that, the artwork is beautiful. No, obviously it's not PS3 graphics, but the way everything is portrayed gives a great feel to the entire game. If you like mysteries and problem solving, I would pick this one up.

8. sturigdson macrumors regular

I gotta say- you couldn't be more right. It's really really slow paced. But it feels like a film noir or a true, honest mystery. It's kind of interesting, isn't it, how engrossing it is?

9. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Yeah, that's exactly how it feels. This really shouldn't be engrossing . . . . but it is.

10. sturigdson macrumors regular

where's everybody at with this game?

I'm really enjoying the story and the art- tho the art does kind of lose its freshness after enough playing.

I do, however, get frustrated when it falls into the traps of point-and-click mystery games. For instance, where you have to find some miniscule detail to progress, and nothing will happen until you discover that one item that's hidden, and then you can continue.
    For my money, I wish there was just a tad more variety in the progression, instead of only one super-linear path- at least, that's how it seems to me now.

However, again, the story is engrossing enough for me to be continually thinking about unravelling the mysteries of this game. what about everybody else?

11. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Re-playability?

I am thinking of picking this up, anyone know if this game is a one time deal or you would want to replay again... only cause then u would know the whole story...

12. sturigdson macrumors regular

Hey Space-

Not sure, actually. I'm not far enough thru it. My honest guess is, tho, that it won't be as thrilling to replay because you'll know all the aspects of the story.

You might want to find a demo or something if one's out there, or test it somehow if that's possible- get your fingers on it and try it.

BTW Sky, nice avatar!

13. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Hey thanks, I think I will wait a bit then and pick it up used.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mine should arrive in a few days :) Looking forward to this one.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is this like Phoenix Wright ?

Problem I have with Phoenix Wright games was the point they simply become just a matter of trial and error; and then remember what you did right.

Almost reminds me of the Dragons Lair game where you had to just remember a sequence to complete the section, Phoenix fundementally has the same structure. A bit like an elaborate Simon Says game.

Is this any better, or is it still the same fundemental gameplay ?

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

***shameless plug***

For anyone still undecided about the game there is a good review of it over at
    gametrailers.com.

Lethal

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks for that. Nothing much like Phoenix Wright at all by the looks then - will consider getting this one.

18. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

MacRumorUser, have you tried Phoneix Wright - Justice for All? Haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if it is as linear and random as the previous. I liked the game, just didn't like the whole cross-examination where really its the luck of the draw when u press for more information to get the game going.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah i have and its pretty much the same. Yeah i'm with you on the whole cross examination. Keep re-trying till you get it right, then if you go wrong, do it all over again and again and again..... :eek:

20. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Point and click style story-book adventure.

Looks like the old Lucas Arts games brought up to date :D

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh wow.
    As I was locking up the house this morning to head for uni, I got my parcel. Played it on the bus to and from Manchester. It's wonderful. It's so engrossing, so... It's like playing Midsomer Murders or something.

I made the kid cry first so I got a Game Over :eek: it's about 5:11 now or something.

Absolutely great. Put my faith back into new games I tell ya.

23. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Sounds pretty cool. I'll have to see if its out over here yet. Is it a game with longevity?

24. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Hey I haven't played it yet, but I think it's mention aboved that once you play it once, you pretty know the story line...