Hotel Wireless.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jellomizer, Nov 24, 2006.

1. jellomizer macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2006
    Upstate NY
    I was a hotel and having some trouble keeping the wireless connection. I talked to Tech Support and everything. With no avail. Just as about I was going to give up. I closed 2 of my Dashboard Widgets that access the internet and reconnected. That seemed to work. I think the issue is because at hotels you connect to the internet it goes threw a Proxy where you need to agree to the the policies. The widgets were taking precedence over you web browser causing it to not approve the agreement and kicking you off the wireless.
  2. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

Jul 9, 2005
    The town without George Bailey
    Yeah, many hotels and free wifi hot spots connect through a proxy first and make you agree to their terms.
  3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Which two widgets seemed to cause the problem?
  4. MacVault macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2002
    Planet Earth
    I have a nearby hotel where my friend's Windows XP laptop connected to the proxy page automatically where he then agreed to the terms and was granted access. When I tried connecting with my iBook no page would come up. So I browsed to the router/gateway IP address shown in my Network pane in System Preferences and the agreement/proxy page came up. Once I clicked agree I was then able to surf the net.