Hotels in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jimN, Mar 28, 2007.

1. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Hi there,
    I'm planning a trip to San Francisco with my girlfriend at the end of April. Just wondered if anyone could suggest any hotels - prefer smaller boutique type places to large faceless chain hotels, although a bit of decadence doesn't go amiss. Failing that can anyone suggest any particular areas to stay in/steer clear of.
    Thanks in advance

2. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Mark Hopkins is a fantastic place and a landmark in the city. It's not cheap, but good deals can be found on the web. I booked through Expedia about five years ago and got a great room for $150 US per night in December. Beds there are absolutely fantastic and the location is great, right at the top of Nob Hill.

Recently I've stayed at the Serrano on Taylor St. The neighborhood can be a little sketchy if you aren't careful, but it's a boutique hotel with some charm. Rooms are pretty small, but being European you should be used to that. Most Americans complain about the rooms here being too small. Doesn't bother me, but the tiny shower does. I'm 6'2" with a 44" chest and had to turn sideways to shower. Anyways, the Serrano has a lot of character and it is very close to Union Square.

I've also stayed at the Argent near Moscone Center (the convention hall). It's more of a business traveler's hotel. Nice property, big rooms, rather swanky, but better choices could be made.

As far as areas to avoid, it's like any other big city in the world. Always keep your guard up. Specifically the area known as "The Tenderloin" can be pretty disturbing. I've been to SF dozens of times and never had any problems. The streets are usually pretty busy all times of day so sticking to the main roads should be safe anywhere and anytime. Assuming of course you don't make a target of yourself.

PM me if you need transportation (I'll hook you up with my main man) or any additional information about things to do or see.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Ramada Plaza. Right next to the bart station. Historical structure. Secure. Affordable, I think we got a nice AAA discount. Unless I am on like a "beach" vacation, I go for the cheapest hotel. I am like never in my hotel room unless I am sleeping for a "sight seeing" vacation.

Ramada was cheap, but it still managed to impress me. Smaller then average room, but still nice. Its also right across the street from subway. Its on Market Street which was kind of handy since it was kind of the middle of everything.

When go to see the Golden Gate, if you can plan it, go near sunset, it turned out real nice. Make sure to go on the left side of the park where the bike trail goes, less people and better views IMO and I don't think people know they can go there.

About safety. I pretty much felt safe during daylight hours. People always complain about the homeless but it was not any worse then any other big city I have been. But if your going somewhere at 4:00 am (ie Keynote Line) then do your self a favor and take a cab. I drove past a mugging.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've stayed in a few places in SF and, where you stay depends what type of things you want to do.

If you're going to the theatre, want to do lots of shopping or travel to outer parts of the city, then round Market St and Union Square is OK.

If you're being a tourist and going to Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 (tho wouldn't recommend a long time there), Little Italy etc, then staying closer to the Bay can be good.

Last time I went with a rookie SF tourist, we stayed in the Argonaut hotel which is right down on the front between the cablecar turn at Ghirardelli's and Fisherman's Wharf. Scoma's (a great but slighly pricey seafood restaurant) is just across the road. It's a 4-star hotel but built into an old warehouse so has a few quirks. They had free wine-tasting in the afternoons, very helpful concierges and the rooms all have a slightly nautical theme. And many of them have views of the Golden Gate bridge - I'll post a couple of pics if you're interested.

5. jimN thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimN

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I'd certainly be interested in seeing some pictures - looking forward to taking a few of my own. With the dollar-pound conversion the way it is at the moment even the more expensive hotels start to look very affordable. Should be a good trip.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"Character" hotels are plentiful in San Francisco, but beware of the bargains. Some of them are quite tatty (a lot like London, really). Check the reviews before booking. I can also recommend the Argonaut, having stayed there myself, if you don't mind paying the freight. It's a new hotel in an old building. Great location, plenty of ambience.

7. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Are there any good Marriots in SF? I have a membership with them and plan to go this fall.

8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

ya, its right across from the Moscone center.

9. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Cool, is it safe or will I get slammies?

10. artalliance macrumors 6502

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Here's a few shots of the Argonaut hotel to give you an idea - this was our twin room and the view - from the window and reflected from the giant porthole mirror which really reminded you that you were in San Francisco and not in any old city overlooking rooftops. They had free internet access and leopard-print bathrobes IIRC

The room
    IMG_4069.jpg

The view (the bit at the front is the cable car turnaround but good enough double glazing that the 'dings' don't keep you awake)
    IMG_4070.jpg

The view from the mirror
    IMG_4075.jpg

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The SOMA Marriott area is pretty safe. There are some panhandlers in the area, but it's a very busy neighborhood with the Market St. shopping, the Metreon, the Yerba Buena museums, and the Moscone Center all right there. This is the huge one on Fourth Street that looks like a giant ukebox...the design is much-maligned by residents, but I like it. There's a Courtyard by Marriott a few blocks over on Second Street...a bit more out of the way.

They run the luxury JW Marriott at Union Square...very centrally located and great for shopping. Also in the luxury category is the Stanford Court on Nob Hill.

They have two in the Fisherman's Wharf area: a regular Marriott on Columbus and a Courtyard on Beach. I don't think the Courtyard don't think it has quite the views that the nearby Argonaut has, and it's really really touristy there. The regular Marriott is a couple blocks away from the wharf and a bit closer to the action in North Beach.

13. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You might also like to check out the bed & breakfast Petite Auberge, near Union Square. I think rooms are about $130, with breakfast included.

If you'd like to be near Golden Gate Park, the Stanyan Park hotel is a great choice.

14. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Hotel Triton.

Totally funk. Prices aren't too bad.

Right near the gates to China Town. Great location. Had a blast staying there.