Hotkey that stores text on OS X, Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dupsta, Nov 12, 2012.

1. dupsta, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012

macrumors member

Sep 11, 2010
    Can someone point me in the right direction.

I am looking into having a hotkey or a script that I can hit so I don't have to type my user name out or certain sentences I use alot. Basically store a go to phrase I don't have to type out. A hotkey maybe a function key that with one push just fills it in. Any thoughts?

2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2009
    Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
    In settings > General > Keyboard, you can add text shortcuts. I use it for email addresses, forum code, etc. works a treat. For example, when I type '' it automatically puts in my email address in full. When I type 'img' it gives me for forum use, and so on.

Hope this helps.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 11, 2010
    nothing happens for me when I follow those instructions.

Can you be more detailed in how I can hit a shortcut key and my email fills in for me in any application?

Thank you.
  4. macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2012
    In the default example that comes preset on the phone, the OS will replace "omw" with "On my way!" everytime you type it anywhere on the phone. You can either edit this example, or create your own one next to it so that when you type some chosen set of letters, they'll expand into a larger phrase like your email address.

For example, you could set dup to change to dupsta or dupem to change to

Attached Files:

5. macrumors 65816

Nov 10, 2010
    You don't hit a hot key you type a shortcut.
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 11, 2010
    I original posted this in the OSX forum and it got moved to this iphone forum?

I hope this is resolved as this is a question for OSX on a macPro not an iphone.

Thank you for your time
  7. macrumors 65816

Nov 10, 2010
    I notified the moderator so they will move it to the correct forum.
  8. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Detroit, Michigan
    I moved your thread to the Mac Basics and Help forum and also updated your thread title to be more specific. In the future, try to be specific in your thread titles which will help others in aiding you. :)
  9. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Maybe the following text expanding / text macro applications* can help: