hotline is going down

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stoid, Mar 7, 2002.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

hotline sites are popping out of existance fast. Just after I got my copy of Hotline for OS X I find hotlinehq.com goes down. Then, the only other descent search site I know hlsearch.com goes down as well!! What gives, I grew to like hotline quite a bit, and now I can't search it anymore. HELP!! Are there any other good Hotline search engines, or maybe another good P2P system that I could get?!?

2. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

tracker-tracker.com/hotline

Great site, returns a lot of results.

4. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Thanks

Thanks guy, I always thought that hlsearch.com was the same as tracker-tracker.com, I'm not quite sure how I got confused???

5. Onyxx macrumors regular

there is more out there than hotline. Carracho and gnutella are ever improving their software. Carracho in particular may be of some interest since it is mac only. Gnutella has also recently become even more popular than ever. The pc weenies out there that think that us mac users are missing out because we can't use kazaa and morpheus are deluding themselves. the newest versions of this software are nothing more than gnutella client ports. Ha we've had this for years. Ther are also irc channels and usenet if you know about that. If hotline goes down (which it won't. non centralized, too many source code toting code wizards, too large a user base) it will be missed by not irreplacable. Napster addicts cried, i fired up open nap and didn't miss a beat.:D

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hotlinehq went down (in my opinion) a while ago....sometime last year....

I started in on tracker-tracker.com and got great results....

I was even using LimeWire but lately searches haven't been able to pull anything up there....lots of problems connecting lately for them...I think I read about it on here as well...

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day and looks like Hotline is gonna close soon before some one suit them first.

The strategy is to close the service before there is a case in court, that way they can open another service just like it and the opositors would have to create another trial (witch takes time) and so on.

8. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

a few weeks ago....

I went to www.bigredh.com to download the PC version of HL clinet so I could transfer some big files with PC buddy of mine over the net. But... the site said that HL is no longer available for download! I know that HL has goten some bad press recently for Copy right stuff... did they get scared? I fond a copy of the clent on a CD some place so I didnt need it any way but that sucks if HL fades away. I use HL server/client as a poor mans fileserver on My mac so the PC's in my house can get to it (PCMacLAN didnt work out right away ... so I gave up)

As for Carraho..... Its the best! I use it all the time. Much better than HL and the community IS a community.... not like HL. I have even run in to macrumors posters on Carracho :)

9. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

never mind

I just went to check out the website again.. and it looks like it is back up for download.

10. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

11. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

have you seen me whfsdude :p stop in at the gathering and look for me :p

12. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: Re: Evildead

Thanks a friend of mine made it for me as a AOL Buddy icon. I may use the anamated one next

13. theranch macrumors 6502

bad news re:tracker-tracker

Tracker-tracker.com used to be free but about a month ago they started charging for their service. You could also try thesnitch.com.
    If you want to search within hotline ad these servers to your servers window:
    darksidetracker.dhs.org
    or
    revolution.frenzy.ca

The server window has a search area.

14. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

tracker-tracker??

Its still free... just went and checked it out one second ago.

???

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: bad news re:tracker-tracker

Yah it's still free, I use it all the time... They're taking PayPal donations, but that's non-essential, just support 'em if you like 'em.

It better not go down, either, before PS7 is released! i mean, if i wanted to find filters for it... yeah, that's it...
    hehe

paul

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: bad news re:tracker-tracker

what u do is click the link at the top that says "File Search"....

I was fooled the first time I saw the member login also....

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

now this is no better than the one at who I'm pointing my finger....but hasn't there been enough discussion around here for useless one word postings? :rolleyes:

what the hell does "bump" mean anyway?

18. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's the way some people denote a meaningless post that "bumps" the thread to the top of the list so that hopefully more people will see and comment on it. I used to see this on PC related forums...[shudder]...I thought I had escaped it. :rolleyes:

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart