Hotmail and OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thoff, Apr 8, 2005.

1. thoff macrumors newbie

My mom has been having problems with timeout errors when trying to access her hotmail. I have tried using Safari and IE and am currently downloading Firefox to give that a try. She can access her account just fine on my dad's laptop running Windows 2000. She is running 10.3 on a 400MHz G3 Pismo. This problem has only happened recently and she hasn't been able to check her hotmail on her powerbook for at least the past week. A number of other websites (including Macrumors) seem to be working fine. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks for any replies,
    thoff

2. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

there's a plugin for Mail that works with hotmail. i've been using it for a few months now problem free - it's called HTTPMail. that might be worth a try.

3. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Try deleting her browser caches, and system caches while you're at it. Heck, might as well repair permissions too. :)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I just opened my Hotmail in Safari (I usually use FF, and I usually use HTTPMail and Mail.app to read my Hotmail) and it worked without any trouble. Ditto for in FF. One issue might be some cookie or cache file. So try clearing those out. Another might possibly be real timeouts, based on aspects of her connection to the 'net. If that is the issue, try this little hack, which increases the timeout threshold in Safari:

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/snt

5. JoeUK macrumors member