Hotmail automatic forward all emails to gmail account?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 1rottenapple, Jul 31, 2005.

1. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I was wondering if there was a setting to make hotmail forward all of the email it receives to my new main account, which is gmail? Thanks, any help is appreciated.

2. amandamohar macrumors newbie

Hey I've been having the same probelm, and I haven't seen anyway to do that OR to send out an automatic response from my hotmail account (ie, Hello, I am no longer using this email account. Please change my address in your records to abcabcabc@gmail.com)
    Did you find any solutions?

3. 66217 Guest

I know this is an old, old, old thread......but I got tired of hotmail, it is almost full and GMail is just much better. And I can use it with Mail.

So anyone knows if this can be donde?

Thanks,

Roco

4. munckee macrumors 65816

I'll give it another bump. I'm sick of hotmail and have a gmail account. Now I just need to make the leap from one to the other. Any help would be appreciated.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i abandoned my hotmail account when Gmail was first released (one of the best computer/technology-related decisions i've made ever). i didn't see a feature that forwarded mail (perhaps it's been added since then, but considering this thread, i doubt it). it doesn't seem like something Microsoft would want to incorporate since it detracts from use of their service. you'll have to decide if it's worth porting everything over to Gmail and changing your e-mail address on all your existing accounts (i.e., sign-ins for different websites). to me (and probably a lot of other people), it is worth the time and effort.

without a hotmail account, it is difficult (impossible) for me to see how you could possibly forward mail. but most people here are computer-savvy enough to figure that one out so if you can't, it's probably not a feature available with hotmail.

6. Paul S macrumors regular

Yes, just as Pianoman stated, Microsoft wants you to keep using their stuff, even though it's almost a decade behind the current email technology. I mean, I only had 4mb of storage up until 2 years ago, while I opened a Gmail account when it came out and had 1 GIG. Even Yahoo has a gig now. Plus the whole user interface with Hotmail is the worst.

Anyway, simply to answer your question, no, you cannot automatically forward your emails. Gmail has this feature, though.

7. munckee macrumors 65816

Is there any way to make a mass move of all my old emails to my gmail account? I saw one account on the web of how to do it, but it involved two or three different programs and seemed to be PC specific. Any ideas in mac-land?

8. mingspace macrumors member

I am wondering if you can do this with AOL...

9. PcPlod macrumors newbie

You can...

Hey people, im new to macrumors, just wanted to say, you can have all your emails forwarded to a different account, by going into options and clicking forwarding, but hotmail will only let you have your emails forwarded to a windows account such as hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com.
    I am also trying to find a way to have my emails forwarded to my new gmail account. can anyone help? thanks

PcPlod