hotmail hacker

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The ronster, Mar 3, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello. I've just had a hacker get into my Hotmail account and send a spam to everyone on my contacts list. My Mac is iMac, running on OSX Tiger. has anyone else had anything similar?

2. macrumors 6502a

i very much doubt it's anything to do with your mac.

3. macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

not your mac, they would have obtained your user name and password some how, have you shared this with everyone, logged in to a computer and saved the details, or even mates took it?

4. macrumors 6502

Def. not the mac. My guess would be that you didn't log off a public computer, or someone used yours.

or maybe you used your last name as your password....

5. macrumors 6502a

johny5

My guess is that you entered your login details on one of those fake websites that claim to show you who has you blocked on MSN?

theyre all fake and grab your details, very dangerous especially if you have banking details sent to your hotmail accounts!

6. macrumors demi-god

IC3D

They probably cracked your password using a program. Has nothing to do with your mac.

7. macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

It might not even be from your computer, some viruses attack address books & send emails out from a third persons computer pro-porting to be from yours??

8. macrumors 68020

Hankster

It's probably not a hacker, just a virus or trojan.

9. macrumors newbie

I had the same problem,

And I really don't mind them messing around with mijn account there is no important information on there anyway but I would like to get my contacts back...

Any suggestions?

10. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Contact Hotmail. If you still have access to the account you can export the contacts, if you don't, you can use the forgot your password help they have. There's nothing Mac related to the problem though (just in case the other posts didn't make that clear).

11. macrumors regular

I used to get hotmail passwords when i was in high school (i was a little immature and bored...).

the way I did it (and hope maybe you can avoid it this way), is I created an website that looked identical to hotmail's. then I'd bookmark it in the browsers bookmark bar. when people came to use the computer, a lot of them just clicked the bookmark, and typed in their username/password into the fields on MY page. upon click the submit button, i'd have the site send their info my my own email, and then the site would redirect them to the real hotmail page - so it just looked like a hotmail error. they'd log in a second time and it would work as normal.

sounds stupid, but it worked. (i dont do that anymore)

12. macrumors member

13. macrumors 6502a

Chris.L

That's what phishing is.

Other ways that they could've obtained your password:

They knew the answer to your secret question
    Social Engineering
    You saved your details on a public computer
    You signed in on a Windows computer that was infected with something

14. macrumors 6502a

Hotmail once again proving how easy it is to hack.

15. macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You didn't get "hacked", you got phished, meaning you entered your password onto a fake login page (or they just guessed your password.) If you have ever entered your password on a Windows computer, it could have been picked up by any number of nasties.

16. macrumors 6502a

You can't use brute force in 2009. It's definitely phishing.