Hotmail issues

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tobefirst, Mar 16, 2005.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd like to preface this by saying that I know that there are tons of better free email services out there, but I've had my account for about 8 years now and don't plan on changing until I'm able to get my own website, complete with email and everything. That being said...

I got a strange problem today when I tried to send an email from my Hotmail account. For the record, I'm using Firefox 1.0 on a 867mhz G4 running 10.3.8. I can recreate the same error in Safari, but can't in IE (because I can't even get into my account through IE).

When I hit the "send" button, I get this message:

An error has occurred. Click here to resolve the issue

Upon clicking "here," I get this message:

You have already sent the maximum number of messages allowed
    in a 24-hour period. Sign up for MSN Hotmail Plus to enable your
    account to continue to send e-mail.

However, this is the first email I've sent today. I tried contacting hotmail, but their links don't work. (Go figure!) I read on the internet that the limit for outgoing mail is 100 per 24-hour period.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, does the problem go away the next day or soon after? Or should I speed up my search to find a webhosting service so I can change over to an email address that I'll have forever (or a very long time)? Actually, I'm sure I should speed up my search, but will the problem go away or has my account been hijacked and is unrecoverable?

Thanks for your answers guys and gals.

(I don't know if I put this in the right forum...but I couldn't find a better one.)
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    back when i had hotmail i never had this problem, and among my friends who still use hotmail i have never heard any of them complain of such an issue

you could wait it out and see, or you could look into just createing a new email for yourself as well