Hotmail & Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rockandrule, Jul 7, 2005.

1. rockandrule macrumors 6502

I was trying to set up the Mail app in OS X with my hotmail account earlier. Can anyone tell me what the POP server ID is? That's all I need and I'll be able to view my hotmail account through that program. Much easier than what I've got going on now. Thanks for any help!

2. Cvstos macrumors member

Hotmail isn't a POP mail service. I think there is a third-party plugin for Mail.app floating around that'll let you access it through the app, but other than that Hotmail forces you to either use a Microsoft email program or go there via the website.

3. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

4. rccola70 macrumors regular

Sorry to break it to you..but it doesn't work anymore..I recently tried to get mail using httpmail and here's the error message I got:

Connection Failed

Could not connect to 'Hotmail'
    Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now requires a subscription. Please sign up at http://upgrade.msn.com

ya..so unless you've got hotmail plus or whatever its being called..you can't access your account from a standalone program..sux..

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Isn't that only for new accounts though? The old ones should still work fine.

6. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

That sux...rockandrule if you have another email account I believe you can forward to that one. Then use that one sync with mail.

7. rockandrule thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn, that really blows. Do you guys think I'd be able to forward my college e-mail address through Mail, or would that be blocked out too?

8. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I have a Hotmail account and I just downloaded that link, and it worked for me. Now my hotmail account works thru Mac Mail.

9. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I have 100 Gmail invites. Gmail gives you 2500 MB of storage, shorter wait times, and no ads. Also, it allows POP3 access with all sorts of mail applications. Want an invite? PM me.

10. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Okay, I'm having a problem. I used that link for hotmail and I can send messages from my MacMail, but when I get new email, it does not appear thru MacMail. Can someone help me with that?????

11. Vash macrumors newbie

Vash

This is exactly what I've been looking for. Works perfectly!

12. loganblade macrumors newbie

It kepps asking me to update to windows live or whatever and i do, but it wont work! and my email is at least 6 years old! whats going on!?

13. hjreed macrumors newbie

Accessing Hotmail

I tried this applet and it worked! I had some problems at first because I didn't realize that by default it would only download the latest version. The latest version would not work on my machine. I had to poke around for a while to figure out how to download an earlier version. Then when it was installed, and I got the incoming mail working, I still had to go back and delete the previous information I had put in for the outgoing mail server. When I started up mail again, it automatically found the server for the outgoing mail. It all seems to be working now.

14. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Can anyone with Windows Live Mail explain how they've gotten this HTTPMail plug-in to work?

15. Britanium macrumors member

There are diferent versions for 10.4 and 10.5. The "current" one is only or 10.5, but if you scroll down a bit (on the version tracker site) you'll see a version for 10.4.

Hope this helps

16. krissvl macrumors member