Hotmail not signing in?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LastLine, Apr 23, 2006.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

So yeah, hotmail sucks. But read on anyway.

I'm clicking on the mail like in MSN MEssenger, and it keeps taking me to a screen to enter my password, I enter the password, it thinks about it for a minute or two, then asks me to put it in again. And again. And again.

Anyone any ideas? I've tried fully resetting Safari, but no dice. Is this something to do with hotmails switch to Live?

2. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

I am having exactly the same problem.

It is only safari that it is doing it with, firefox works fine.

It must be something they have changed recently, always used to work fine.....

(perhaps a silent strike at boot camp:rolleyes: )

3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Well the hotmail URL redirects to live.com now so it might be that :cool: Wonder how IE for mac handles it

4. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

it handled it.

5. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I get this too in safari, in the URL it keeps on flickering between live and hotmail than doesn't connect.. sometimes it works, sometimes it takes a second or two.. :mad:

hope the fix is on its way..

6. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

This was happening to me. I managed to solve it though. Everytime I want to check my Hotmail, I go to msn.com and log in that way. Then it worked for me. But I have to keep doing that. Hope this helps.:p

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah same thing happening here. Just started recently, Camino seems to work though.

8. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

It helps somewhat, but what annoys me is I can no longer click the new mail links in messenger. Ah well.

9. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I have no trouble with it at all, but it automatically logs me in, could that be the difference?

10. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

Mine autologs on, but it just started doing this sometimes too.
    They must have changed something. It works better in Safari 1.03
    than the new one though.

11. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

12. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

Doing the same thing here, but it worked when I went to hotmail.com and signed in manually. I remember it doing this on windows back in the day before I got a Mac. It would do this for about a day and then go back to normal, hopefully it will work properly tomorrow.

13. Harryc macrumors member

14. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

Ok, now I can't sign in to Hotmail at all with Safari, I still can with Camino however, although I'd rather just be able to log in to Messenger and check my mail from there. Oh well, maybe when Messenger becomes Universal, one can only hope.

15. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Hotmail works the same as it ever did for me using safari in OS 10.3. Even though you reset safari, try clearing the cache. Also, if you are going to the site by using a bookmark or clicking a link then try typing in www.hotmail.com directly in the address field.

16. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

I have the same problem. I am using Safari 1.3.2. Adium takes me to the login page, all I have to do enter the password. No big hassle for me though, cos I dont get that many emails, and all of them are rubbish forwards from people I know.

17. Grasbak macrumors 6502

Hotmail not signing OUT!

Hope its ok to add to this thread.....

I log into hotmail and bungie.net with no problems. However when I sign out Safari always fails to do so properly (i get crosses against both sites, if you know what i mean).

Anyone know why?

18. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Me too (Signing In) - Solution..

Right, its not perfect, but, this is whats been working the past 5 days or so...

In your address bar, it will re-direct to something with the word ''live'' in it, after a short while the address will change and will have the words ''msn.hotmail'' at the beginning - press the Apple Key and R (Refresh) at this stage, your title bar in Safari should then change to the word 'Continue'.

After a short delay it should change to ''Hotmail - Today" and your front page to your Inbox should be shown.

This always works for me, but I must admit, its a pain not being able to use the button in Messenger. :)

19. charismaG4 macrumors newbie

charismaG4

I'm having the same trouble. But what I did notice is once it's told you that you 'have the wrong password' click on the 'forgot password' link. After that enter the security digits it asks you for and press enter.

Now don't click on either link, but to the left is another link saying 'back to Hotmail'. Click that and it takes you to your inbox.

:)

20. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Oh I don't experience the password problem, mine just takes me round and round in circles, refreshing to Hotmail Live until it finally tells me it couldn't find the server. :confused:

Once my address bar refreshes itself to '..hotmail.msn...' for a second, i quickly press Apple + R (to refresh the page) and it takes me straight to my Inbox. :)

21. btfgus macrumors member

btfgus

Magic

Thank you guys. Apple + R worked a gem!!!:)