Hotmail now works in a 2013 MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a-m-k, Feb 2, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I always had to use my family's PC when checking my hotmail. I got so tired of it, I switched to a yahoo account. I have to keep my hotmail account for payment reasons because that is the e-mail address associated with the card. Did something change either with hotmail or the mac systems?

I'm just wondering, it's strange that all of the sudden it now works.

2. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

What do you mean? I'm not a hotmail user, but I haven't heard anything not working with it.

3. macrumors 68030

Spink10

always worked for me

4. macrumors 68030

SDAVE

5. macrumors regular

Assuming your access to hotmail was through something other than their website, I'm thinking you've finally figured out how to set it up. Yay! :D

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

:confused:

7. macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Hotmail also works on the 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009 MBP too.

8. macrumors 601

Hotmail has always worked on a Mac?:confused:

I've been able to setup a hotmail account on apple Mail on an old mac running OS X 10.4 which came out in 2005.

I blame user error.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I've had the account since 1998.... I used to have to go to the library in my town who have apple towers. It always worked fine from there.

10. macrumors member

The problem isn't your Mac, or even the OS, it's the browser. I've been using Hotmail since 1997 and it has worked on every single Mac I've owned since then. However, the performance has varied depending on the browser. Worked best with IE (naturally), then usually Safari (bit hit-and-miss depending on the release), then Opera, Chrome and finally Mozilla/Firefox. Earlier versions of Mozilla/Firefox seemed to work better than later versions (mid-2000s). These days, Safari tends to work best, but I still access Hotmail on Firefox every day as I prefer the GUI. It's a shame Firefox is so buggy these days, as I think it has the best layout and features. I've never really warmed to Safari, even after all this time.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I had trouble when using my '09 MBP using both safari and sea lion.(To check my hotmail account, though, I will update with sea lion when it's necessary. (I maintain a website and sea lion has an html editor.)

12. macrumors member

Yes, I'm sure Microsoft tried to make Hotmail as painful as possible for those not using IE at one stage to try to get them to use it, but I think they've all but given up these days. They don't even make IE for Macs anymore.

13. macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I think hotmail has been working for YEARS on MBPs.

14. macrumors regular

When you say "hotmail works..." I'm assuming you are referring to pop3? I would LOVE it if there were a hotmail solution for Exchange Active Sync. I'm not sure that IMAP works anymore even. I hate having all my hotmail folders stuck in the web client and I have to log in there to do any email sorting. In the meantime, the local email client works ok for me if for no other reason than to notify me of new mail.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I actually don't know if I am using the POP3 or not? All I know is that it seemed to be working. In fact, I just checked it, and things are different. So maybe there were changes and they prevented me from logging on for however long it took to switch things around.

16. macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

There is you can use m.hotmail.com which is the domain for hotmail exchange.

To the OP Hotmail always worked I think this was just a browser compatibility issue.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Maybe there was a glitch with Leopard.

18. macrumors newbie

I'm a Hotmail user too and I'm always looking for a way to sync Hotmail on OSX. Microsoft claims to be working on a Mac solution, but that fix will probably be limited to their Office suite. It's a shame because it works perfectly with my iPhone & iPad. Better than either Gmail or Yahoo.

19. thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Is it not working for you now... I'm on a Mid-2012 MBP.