Hotmail POP3 access now available

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 7, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

It's been available for quite some time now.

3. macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Party like you haven't already switched to Gmail!

4. macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

you know, for a Mac news site, MacBytes sure does put out a lot of stories about Microsoft

5. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What's with the geographic restrictions? I don't use Hotmail so it doesn't affect me, but still boggles my mind :confused:

6. macrumors newbie

Send e-mail...

hi! just wanna ask if anyone has the problem...
    i can receive my mail but when i want to send an mail, i cannot send no mail at all...does anyone know where the problem is coming from???

7. macrumors G3

Kilamite

Believe or not, Microsoft is the largest software company, and do have an impact on Macs. Microsoft Office, Messenger:Mac to name a couple. When there is an update to those that affects Macs, then it is news.

There isn't that many stories about Microsoft anyway..

8. macrumors 6502a

I wish someone told me about his earlier. I've been using MacFreePOPs with Mail.app and so I don't always check my Hotmail.

9. macrumors 68040

elppa

What decade are they getting IMAP?

People take the mick out of MobileMe, but iTools, .Mac and MobileMe email has always been IMAP, right from the start in 2000.

10. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Welcome to 1999.

11. macrumors 601

Tilpots

So does this mean I can use it with Mail and have it sync, like when I delete an email in Mail, it will be deleted when I log onto hotmail?

12. macrumors member

too late

I switched from my hotmail account to Gmail about 6 months ago, two weeks after i got my iPhone. Still, much prefer Gmail anyway :)

13. macrumors 68020

I left hotmail for gmail when I got my iPhone and there's no way I'm going back.

14. macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Hotmail has to be the worst e-mail service out there. Gmail trumps it, especially with Push Exchange for calendar and contacts and hopefully for mail soon.

15. macrumors 6502

ha! i actually did that exact same thing!

plus, i just set up the hotmail on my iPod touch and i don't think it's exchange so all emails are marked as unread and i can't figure out how to download more than fifty emails at a time.

16. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Yep, but it won't sync status. So if you read a mail on ur desktop and it is till on the server it will be still marked as unread. That would be IMAP...aka wait for 2012.

17. macrumors 6502

they DO have push available for mail. i have it working on my iPod touch all the time, but i guess it doesn't work for all people. seems to work great for me though

18. macrumors 68040

elppa

If you want "luxuries" like this, then you need to either get GMail (free) or MobileMe (paid).

19. macrumors 6502

Yes hotmail is certainly terrible, but I've had my account since around 1997 when it was about the only choice.

20. macrumors regular

I used hotmail circa 1998... is it even still around? I left them years ago.

21. macrumors 6502

Yes hotmail is certainly terrible, but I've had my account since around 1997 when it was about the only choice.

I don't use it very often but when I need to submit an email address for a website I'm pretty sure is going to spam me I use that one.

22. macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks. I use hotmail for junk, and I got a gmail account for everything else. Just wanted to see if this could make it easier to see and clear the spam.:)

23. macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I boycott everything Google. Never used Hotmail either. I used to use Yahoo, but I don't anymore. I figure you get what you pay for in e-mail services...and these three are all free.

24. macrumors 6502a

is there a reason why you boycott google? i'm just curious.

what email service do you use? i can't think of a "paid" email service except for the "secure/encrypted" types

25. macrumors 6502a

rockosmodurnlif

Yes! Awesome. My college uses live mail for it's official mail, now it wil be checked along with my other email addresses instead of when I remember.