Hotmail Replacement

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by dsharits, Oct 3, 2004.

1. dsharits macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2004
    The People's Republic of America
    Hi all,

Since Micro$oft has discontinued support for the HTTP Mail Plugin, I can't get any of my mail without logging on to the host sites. Is there any way of importing my mail into Mail with any of my addresses? I have a Hotmail account, a Yahoo account and a GMail account. I want to use the for receiving e-mail (preferably from GMail), but I will gladly shift over to any one of the accounts if I can get any of them to work with Mail. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. vashim66 macrumors member

Oct 25, 2003
    Why bother?

Just use Gmail and ditch Mail. If that's not an option, you might want to check out Mozilla Thunderbird...I've found it to be a lot better than Apple's Mail program. It's also open source so there's probably a better chance that there's a plugin that will do what you want.
  3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    here is a way to read your gmail with
    click me
    I don't use it because using it in the browser is fine for me but you could give it a try.
  4. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
    It's possible with Yahoo, and I do it. Somewhere on the yahoo mail site, in your mail preferences, there's a setting to enable access from mail programs (something to do with POP3). Enable this, then set up the account in Mail, and you're good to go. I think you'll still have to have access to an SMTP server to send mail, such as the one provided by your ISP, but apart from that, quite straightforward.