Hotmail users, what mail client do you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by SolidGun, Jul 26, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

SolidGun

i was trying to set up iMail on my 12"PB and found it to be incompatible with Hotmail Free account. I was going to download outlook express, but the version 5 was designed for OS 9.
    Can I use the iMail for Free hotmail account?
    If so can someone tell me how to set it up.
    Thx in advance.

2. Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Try the httpmail plugin. It includes instructions on setting up Hotmail accounts.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Thank you HexMonkey :D

I just got that straightened out and it is downloading all my messages right now. Thx indeed for your help.

And also many thx to the person that created the program :)

4. macrumors 68000

kgarner

httpmail is great. I love not having to go to Hotmail's site to check my mail. It is so much nicer to just have it download with everything else.

5. macrumors regular

does anyone know how to view your hotmail junkmail in mail?

i've managed to get a junk folder to appear but it remains empty when i download my messages.. meaning that i still need to go to hotmail in case something has strayed in the junk folder by accident

:confused:

6. macrumors 68000

kgarner

I just turn off Hotmail's filter and let Mail handle it for me.

7. macrumors newbie

Can one keep the inboxes from two different mail clients (hotmail and a university based mail client) in separate boxes in OSX mail? I've been trying to but can't seem to. Thanks!

8. macrumors 68030

superbovine

make two different folders in mail. after that goto perferences then rules and add a rule by account that sorts the mail into the folder that you made for the account.

9. macrumors newbie

"httpmail plugin - 1.53
    The plugin has been withdrawn due to the fact the Microsoft is discontinuing the HTTPMail protocol on September 1st 2009."

Please advise any other ways for me to do that??:(

10. macrumors G4

You may not need any extra software. MIcrosoft is rolling-out POP3 access to Windows Live Hotmail. I have it setup in Mail along with me ISP's service, MobileMe, AOL, and Gmail. Simply check for POP3 availability in your country.

11. macrumors regular

Hey, thanks for mentioning that. Mail's downloading my inbox now! :D The last time I tried, Hotmail still needed to be upgraded for application pop3 access.