Hotmail with Apple Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iEdd, Jan 28, 2006.

1. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I have tried a program called MacFreePops to try and get hotmail emails to be used with mail, but I can't get it to work. I know you don't need hotmail plus. Does anyone know how to get this to work? Step by step?

2. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I don't know about MacFreePops, but I'm using HTTPMail at the moment, and it works fine. However, you may need to upgrade to Hotmail Plus for it to work. Not quite what you asked for, but just making sure you knew of alternatives if you can't get the first one to work. :)

3. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

Thanks, yeah I tried that and evidently you do need hotmail plus. :( I'd use my gmail account with msn if all these morons would stop sending me spam and chain emails. Thankgod they haven't gotten to my gmail address. :p

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's strange... I have standard Hotmail, and httpmail, and it works for me. There were news articles last year that they had changed their system, and I would lose this functionality, and it has never happened....

5. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

How long have you had your Hotmail account?

When I installed HTTPMail a while back, I recall the installation instructions saying that it would work with standard hotmail only if the account had been created before a certain time. Any accounts, like mine, created after that time (which wasn't actually specified) would have to be upgraded to Hotmail plus.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My account is fairly old...probably circa 2001. This is definitely a possibility.

7. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

Okay, I decided to give it another go. I seem to have a problem here though (might be because it's an intel mac *shrugs*). I think there is supposed to be an account type called "httpmail", but in this picture I took, there isn't.
    The 'httpmail' file is definitely in users/MYNAME/Library/Mail/Bundles/httpmail.mailbundle/Contents/MacOS though.

Attached Files:

8. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Could well be, but I'm not up to speed with how the whole Intel/Universal Binary thing works, so I can't be sure. The path for the file seems to be correct - I've double checked on my system.

I would suggest emailing the guy who created HTTPMail and asking if he is going to produce an Intel compatible version. I think there is a link on the HTTPMail home page given earlier.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, there should be. In Mail preferences, do you see an HTTPMail pane? You might have to expand the window or else click the more arrows in the pane bar, to find it, because, at least on my Mac, there isn't enough room in the pane bar for the extra item, and Mail doesn't automatically resize the window.

If there's no item, HTTPMail is definitely not running.

10. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

Nope, there are only the standard 8 panes.. Oh well I sent the guy an email when Kernow suggested, I'll see when I get a reply.

11. vante macrumors newbie

Have you had a reply yet? I use hotmail as well and neeeeed mail-access to it. So much hassle to log on through the web. (Got my MBP yesterday - trying to set everything up - no luck with the HTTPMail)

12. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

According to this thread, the HTTPMail developer has stopped development for the moment. However, I am not sure where this information has come from as I can't see anything about it on the HTTPMail site.

13. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I did this when I set up my mother's mac (my old machine), and she kept having wierd problems and program crashes. Finally, I made her ditch her hotmail account and use an account that her DSL provider gave her & uninstalled the httpmail plugins, and everything went back to normal.

Not sure why I had such problems since it seems to work fine for most people, but something was definitely mucking up the system when we were trying to use that.

14. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Personally I haven't had any problems at all with HTTPMail - it works well & saves the annoyance of visiting the Hotmail homepage (normally just to pick up a stack of junk mail).

However, I do remember a while back that a few people were seeing the crashes that you describe. I'm not sure what caused it, or how it was resolved. Were there any application hacks or stuff like that installed on the machine, and did you make sure that you were using the correct version of the plugin (there was one version each for Jaguar, Panther and Tiger)?