Hottest Anti-Virus Software?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BigBurd, Oct 3, 2004.

1. BigBurd macrumors member

BigBurd

I need to purchase anti-virus software for a new iMac G5. As I have only used Norton in the past, I am not well informed with regard to what might actually be the best protection on the market right now. (For all I know, it might be Norton!)

Please post your opinions, so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks, so much.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don't bother with it IMO...

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i used to have virex, but i removed it after i realized it was just using resources, luckily i didnt pay for it, afriend gave me his copy after he decided not to use it

at the moment os x has no virus issues

4. Zaty macrumors 65816

I agree, for now don't bother to install any anti virus software. Chances are it causes more problems (Virex 7.5, anyone?) than it can solve, since OS X is still virus free.

5. ec1_mac macrumors newbie

ec1_mac

the whole reason for using a mac over a pc in my case is the not having to bother with virus protection, that and windows updates popping up ever 5 minutes. Although i believe my wireless router has its own firewall.

6. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

As above. The best anti-virus software is OS X.

7. bubbamac macrumors 6502

I run Virex.

If you must run AV software, I recommend it. Please don't run Norton on your Mac - it is terrible software.

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Damn straight.

I've taken off all copies of Virex from my Macs because the pointlessness of it annoyed me. I'll put it back on when I get a whisper of the OS X fortress being breached, but my work at home doesn't leave me open to much threat.

I'm playing the odds.

9. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Yeah, I think that's the way to go. I wasn't suggesting that OS X will always be immune, but as you say, anti-virus software is pretty pointless at the moment.

Also, I imagine that Apple will be pretty quick to release updates should any viruses turn up, just as they were with the recent proof of concept. I guess there's always the danger that they've have been lulled into a false sense of security owing to market share and the security of OS X, but I doubt it. It's too much of a selling point in the current climate for Apple to be lax about such things.

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

We get Norton for free from the university, but I don't use any antivirus software now.

11. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I agree... the best anti-virus software is Mac OS X

12. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

I run virex on mine. It finds windows viruses as well. It's found several windows viruses from websites and from the active mailbox scanning in Entourage.

13. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

if there ever is a mac os x virus, news of the first one will probably show up on macrumors before the anti-virus company updates their list to scan for it. I ran anti-virus on os 9 but never found one and on os x i don't even bother with any virus scan

14. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I get Virex for free from my university, if you want an anti-virus I would say get that. However, I am thinking of removing it or at least dissabling it despite the fact that we are "required" to have AV software on our computers.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have used Norton Antivirus for over 10 years with no problems at all. It gives me peace of mind. :)

16. BigBurd thread starter macrumors member

BigBurd

TYVM

Thanks to all who responded. I guess I won't worry too much about viruses, because of your advice.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Used Macs for years and years and never ran a antivirus program, whats the point? that could change in the future but at this point i think its a waste of time and money. Pc's its a must ,Mac OSX its just not warranted.