Hottest day in recorded UK history!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know, I know, the land of the rain...but not right now, we are experiencing something of a heat-wave at the moment, and today has broken the UK record!
    Full Article. w00t! :D

edit: typo

2. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Hottest day in recorded UK history!

I knew something was up when I could no longer hear myself think over my Powermac's many fans... Usually it just drowns out Heathrow, but this is a new level.

3. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Damn, you guys have cool weather there, don't you?

Well, maybe not that cool, and maybe not any cooler than any country I've been in... except India. In Delhi it gets to about 45, 50 degrees every summer. You can't even step outside the house for any longer than 2 minutes.

irmongoose

4. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Yeah but I'd rather be in Saudi Arabia where I used to live right now, it's about 45 degrees at the moment. Over there everybody has AC, but in England, nobody does so we all burn...

5. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

You don't have AC?? Even everybody in Japan has one... and it never gets over 35 here!

irmongoose

6. thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nope, I don't know anyone who has AC @ home. Offices tend have AC, but not many homes (none that I know, but there must be some). This kind of heat never lasts long, so it's really not worth the expense of an AC unit for just a few weeks a year.

7. macrumors G3

I stupidly walked down our garden path barefoot yesterday.... :rolleyes: very, very, very hot I can tell you...

Today though, we're in a middle of a monsoon with thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure...

Oh the humidity is also stupidly high at the moment...

I can't wait for Autumn and Winter myself... :eek: ;) :D

8. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Seems we're having similar weather, London and Tokyo. We had a huge typhoon (hurricane, cyclone) yesterday, and today it was blazing hot at 35 degrees. The monsoon season just ended about a week ago.

irmongoose

9. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You're not in London at the moment then? It hasn't rained all day. I'm finding this heat terrible. I know a couple of guys who bought portable ait con units last year. I wish I had now! I can't even sleep properly.

10. macrumors G3

I'm in Coventry visiting family at the moment...

We're in the middle of what I genuinely believe is called a Monsoon.... absolutely tipping it down, incredibly humid, with thunder and lightning.... it's been going on for about 3 hours now.... :rolleyes:

Role on those crisp, clear frosty mornings of later Autumn...

Bring it on!! ;)

11. thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Wish I had some rain right now, I've spoken to Ensign Paris (remember him?) and he is in Yorkshire, apparently it's tipping down there also. Not a spot of rain where I am though, clear blue sky, and unabreable heat!

12. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

And you are out in the country Essex boy! Not in bloody London. We have a nice layer of car fumes keeping the heat in.:(

13. thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

heh, just outside the good old M25 m8, plenty of car fumes thanku very much :D :(

14. macrumors 68020

mymemory

Here in Caracas we have 23 C all year long, summer, winter, you name it.

15. macrumors G3

The lightening has put on a fantastic display... but boy has it being raining, it's stopped now, but judging by the clouds in the distance, there's more to come...

It's just gone on for hours... crazy! I can't remember thunder and lightning ever going on for this long...

Of course I remember Ensign... how is he?? what's he up to?? (apart from hanging his head in despair after Schumi's luck in the last couple of races, exactly like I am!) :rolleyes: :p :p

16. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

It's been a weird summer in Florida as well. It's about 32+ every day with high humidity (which makes it even hotter) and it rains every freakin' day! Yesterday it rained all day. Sink holes are popping up all over the place. It's a weird summer.

17. thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Maybe the storms will work their way to me tomorow (I hope so, I'm @ work, don't wana be looking out @ a nice day).

Ensign's good. Don't get me stated on the F1, the new qualifying is a joke! Anyway, that maybe another thread ;)

18. macrumors 68000

Veldek

In Roth, Bavaria, it has been 40.4°. This has been the highest value since beginning of measuring temperatures in 1730!

And some private station in southwestern Germany even had 40.8°, but the measurement didn't follow international rules and hence wasn't accepted...

19. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Only 100.2 F ?

Comeon, that is your Hottest day Ever?

Give me a break!

In NYC we have hit Much, much hotter than that.

You people in the U.K have nothing.

20. thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

HA! To us this is boiling point! I can hardly move for the heat, and it has brought many problems with public transport, they are worried that the train rails might start to bend with any high speed trains, so speed restrictions have been put in place!

21. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

And do you have AC's in your house? Try working all day in 95 indoors. :)

22. Guest

caveman_uk

Those portable air con units they sell in B&Q are looking a damn tempting purchase when they next have some in (sometime in December probably :rolleyes: ) My next car is definately having aircon.
    About an hour ago it got windy all of a sudden here. No rain yet but some pretty large clouds are going over. I like a good lightning show:D

23. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I don't know if we woulkd be able to live here (texas) without Air Conditioning. It got to 109F a couple of days ago, and the heat index was more than that. I know that some places get hotter, but still.... That is really hot. Plus my stepdad works outside all of the time (he is a landscaper), which is pretty scary because we are always worrying about him getting heat exhaustion, etc. AC is a must here. Sorry I don't know celcius. Oh well.

24. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"Its getting Hot in Herre........"

25. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Thankfully the heat seems to be dropping a bit in central London at the moment. Max temp today (not in London, but in the UK) was actually 38.1 a full degree higher than the previous record.

With reference to the B&Q remark above I was actually in B&Q today and they had a big sign as you went in says that all Air Con and Fans were sold out. Maybe they'll get them back in stock in time for next summer.

Still we normally whinge about rainy, cool summers, so we should be happy with what we've got I suppose.