House approves minimum wage hike...WITH tax cuts for millionaires

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Smug Republican bastards... :mad:

CNN link

My view: Harry Reid is exactly correct: the Democrats in the Senate should kill the bill...and then be the first to loudly and constantly point out that it was the Republicans who put the "poison pill" in the bill and doomed it.

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Yeah, but come Novembr the Republicans are going to tell everybody that it was the Democrats that killed minimum wage. I'm afraid of the Republicans telling everyone before the Democrats do, which will probably happen.

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, that's why I said the Democrats should explain it first, so they can do it on their terms. In fact, the Dems should do that with a lot of things. But you're right, I fear they won't.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    it5five is correct, though. The Pubs did this for a reason. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation for the Dems. Come November, what problems will this pose for the Dems? Quite a few, I'm sure.

Though I think a lot of the country is so fed up with the Pubs and the GOP they're going to elect the Dems outright. I'm registering to vote just to make sure that I vote for the dems. Hell, after all of this, I'm not sure if a modern Hitler would be much worse than the republicans...

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

At least Hitler knew how to conquer a foreign country. ;)

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't like it, but the people needing the minimum wage, need to worse then the government needs taxes... we can raise tax back up for the millionares when the Democrates get more control.. the people living page check to pay check need help NOW!

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Political gamesplaying aside, I fail to see how this is so. Everyone gets something they want. Is a poor person really worse off in real terms because some millionaire gets to keep a bigger chunk of his fortune, however he may have come across it? I think not.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Wow, so any modern day robber baron is entitled to his riches without regard to how he obtained them?

If you haven't noticed, under bushco, the deficit has ballooned and the boomers are nearing retirement. The so called trust fund will be depleted and Congress will no longer be able to cook the books and pretend that the fund is theirs to use as they like. If something isn't done to reduce the deficit, expect inflation to wipe out what you have because the government will be forced to borrow simply to pay for day to day operations. Giving a tax break to the extremely wealthy is not the way to go about reducing the deficit.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

As long as it wasn't illegal. Sorry, I thought that was implied.

Here's a crazy thought, they can do what the rest of us do when there isn't enough money to go around -- reduce spending. If that means doing away with other government giveaways, be they entitlement programs or pork, then so be it.

SS is a flawed program anyway, and a smart person makes his future plans without relying on it.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Giving a tax cut to the middle classes, raising the level of the AMT, increasing by half the standard federal deduction amount, increasing minimum wage slightly and creating a low-limit doubly tax-free Roth 401(k) law would be very easy to manage (wrt overall debt) and would solve many short and long-term problems with Americans' finances.

None of these solutions will come to pass though, because Congress doesn't give a **** about our finances.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What about the disabled and those who got ripped off by the likes of Ken Lay and Bernie Ebbers? It was begun as a safety net and has served its purpose well by protecting those who through little or no fault of their own end up with the short end of the stick.

Reducing entitlement programs serves no purpose when low wages paid by the likes of walmart force people into Medicaid and cuts to SS force elderly onto the streets.

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Thomas Veil > George Bush :D

Thanks for the laugh, I think I'm gonna have to make a joke out of this one. Too good to let go of. :D

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I have no problem with helping out those who can't help themselves (differentiating can't from won't). This may sound harsh, but the people who got swindled by Ken Lay should have known better than to put all their eggs in one basket.

Again, it's harsh, but no one is entitled to a comfortable life. If you don't like your job at Wal-Mart, educate yourself and move up in the world.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What if you're too stupid to educate yourself? Or too busy working to go back to school?

Do those people not deserve access to a comfortable life?

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Not everyone gets to be an astronaut. It's a hard fact of reality but true nonetheless. Otherwise why not just give the government all the money, put everyone on the public dole, and make sure no one gets more of anything then anyone else, all in the name of [communist] "fairness".

Hmm there's night school, there's weekend school, there's distance learning, etc. There's going to school during the day and working 2nd or 3rd shift. I never said it was going to be easy. I had to delay my undergrad degree for five years because of financial concerns, but I finally went back and did it, even though I knew it meant hamburger instead of steak and free university dialup instead of cable for a while.

Access, yes, but by working for it on your own merits instead of having the Allowance Day Mentality™.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Way to jump ahead of me for myself there.

Of course, when I ask what if you're too stupid to get an education and if you still deserve the access to a comfortable life, I'm obviously alluding to turning our nation into a purely communist state.

I wouldn't be talking about being able to work hard at a low skill job and still have dignity and enough money to raise a family or anything like that.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Not even the most hard core communist governments came close to the scenario you describe. Talk about extremist hyperbole.

Your undervaluing the important work of the walmart clerks, cleaners and landscapers is a sure sign that classism has reared once again its ugly head. No society can exist solely on the "labors" of capitalist pigs, somebody after all has to feed them.

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Hahaha. That one gave me a good laugh.

At work today I read a couple of the newspapers laying around to see what they had to say about this (we only have the Arizona Republic and USA Today. I wish we had the Times), and both were making it out to be like it was the Republicans that killed it with their added tax-cut. Hopefully other media outlets do the same so come November the voters know what actually happened.

Onizuka, I need to register too. Good thing I saw you mentioned that. The cut off is coming up soon here.

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I couldn't agree more. Kill Social Security. It is a poor investment of my money. It would be better invested in my mutual fund.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What happens when you MF goes belly up? Social Security was designed as a safety net and it works admirably. Without it, millions of elderly Americans would be living on the street. The stock market crash that led to the Great Depression proves that human stupidity and gullibility knows no bounds. While many of the conditions that led to the crash have been resolved, recent history has proven only too well that corporate criminals are alive and well.

For anyone who thinks that private enterprise is better when it comes to retirement funds, take a look at what happened in Britain. It's been an unmitigated disaster. Private enterprise is only interested in making money for itself, not ensuring that you have enough for retirement.

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

AARP article :p Yeah I understand. Tell America's youth not to expect it and slowly kill it off over 30 years. how bout that?

Well duh. Why would we expect something different? Leave it to the people to decide their retirment funding. I view SS as a forced government savings account that pisses away 12.5% of my paycheck every two weeks. Would be better served in my friggin noload m funds!

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You obviously don't know your history very well.

23. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The people have already decided. Despite Bush's massive PR blitz to push his SS privatization plan, Americans have rejected that idea in huge numbers.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What happened to the holy principle of the 'up or down vote'?

This is political blackmail because the Republicans are deliberately putting provisions into the minimum wage bill that they know will force Democrats in the Senate to kill the measure. It is pure partisan politicking, as I'm sure you know. This has nothing to do with believing that the minimum wage should be increased and everything to do with desperately trying to retain control of Congress this fall.

Just like practically everything else that Congress has done this summer.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. This is again another example of the Republicans playing games with serious issues in an attempt to retain their chokehold on the US. Disgusting.