House buying/viewing tips please!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacBoobsPro, Nov 14, 2006.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    I am actively looking for my first home on the overpriced spit of land that is the UK. Hopefully I will be viewing my very first one tonight.

Does anyone with experience (of house buying) :rolleyes: have any tips that I may not of thought of when viewing?

Along the lines of 'look under the floorboards for decomposing corpses' etc.

Most appreciated.
  2. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2005
    Phila, PA
    I won't get into the financing part of it (different country).

We paid close attention to:
    Dry basement - and if not dry then is there a sump-pump
    Busy road - check during rush hour since the road may be a shortcut
    Windows - old single pane windows are a heat sink, replacing all the windows in the house will cost a ton of money
    Roof - when was it last replaced
    Electrical - is it safe?
    School system - this will closely affect the resale value
    Insulation - is the attic insulated? are the walls insulated (a lot of older homes are not)?
    Water drainage patterns - you dont want to be downhill from other homes or the road unless there is a really good drainage system like a french drain or a stream
    Heating/cooling system - if it's old then be prepared to replace it. You'll save a ton on your utility bills

What we didn't care too much about:
    Kitchen - if you care about the kitchen, like we did, then you're going to renovate it the way that YOU like it (ditto for the interior paint and floors)
    Driveway - not that expensive here
    Landscaping - if you care, you'll change that too

As my dad says, don't look at these things as reasons why/why not to buy the house - think of them as things that you may/may not have to pay to fix in the future. You can then use that to bargain for a better price.

Don't be fooled by "staging" when they bring in lots of plants and home decor stuff. None of that will be there when you move in :D .

See lots of houses, have fun!
  3. MultiM macrumors 6502

May 9, 2006
    TO. I've moved!
    I can't argue with anything Phat Elvis said. My best advice is "Don't be in a big hurry." Take your time and make sure you get the best results for your money. Good luck. It can be fun if you let it.:)
  4. beatsme macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2005
    my mom and dad have said that the best time to see a house is either while it's raining or immediately after. Obviously to check the basement, but also to check the roofing, gutters, drainage patterns i.e. pretty much everything Phat Elvis already said. If there's an active leak, anyway, you'll have a better chance to spot it.
  5. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2003
    Calgary, Canada
    Walk around the neighbourhood. Are there hobos and crack addicts sleeping on park benches nearby? How is the parking for when you have guests come over? Is there transit nearby? What about traffic noise and congestion.