House GOP promotes its "American Values Agenda"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 30, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

CNN

there it is, how the GOP hopes to maintain control of the House. the article didn't mention details of the act, but the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act certainly has an interesting name. abortion doctors must inform patients that the fetus feels pain, perhaps? if so, i wonder if all doctors must inform expectant mothers that the pain of childbirth is pretty darn big for the baby, too.

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

they don't represent my values, that's for sure. **** them

3. iGary Guest

iGary

That failed yesterday.

Didn't know this was illegal. :rolleyes:

This is legal, too.

This failed, too.

I guess they figure if they reword it enough...

I don't have an issue with this, depending on what religious BS they tack on with it.

Another real defining American issue of the times. :rolleyes:

How about a tax relief package for individuals, we create less drain on the system.

Covering their asses now, I see.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that (and a couple of the others) create the perfect "x or y democrat voted AGAINST providing relief to disaster victims!"

5. iGary Guest

iGary

How about doing something about our FRACKING DEBT?

Or maybe doing something about OUR FRACKED UP EDUCATION SYSTEM.

I know I really enjoy driving around on FRACKED UP ROADS.

Oh, maybe lets do something to protect my NONEXISTENT PRIVACY.

You know, something important.

Give it two more years and the dems will be back in the seat. Not that I love that idea, but its better than the BS we have now.

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Coming soon, Contract With America v2.0. Now with 42% more religious fervor and blind oblivion!

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, see those just aren't American values, don'tcha know?

8. iGary Guest

iGary

It's interesting, tho - go to the GOP home page.

Its a good laugh or cry depending on your mood.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

2 failed ammendments
    3-4 religion pandering (depends on how you count gambling)
    1 non issue
    1 to reduce government revenue further
    1 CYA as people figure out how they're f***ed by the bankruptcy reform

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    This really isn't the country my father and grand fathers fought for. It's becoming an Orwellian nightmare. The police state is here. Just wait until they can track you via biometrics identification. When they unite the USA and MExico into one country (Canada will refuse) and you cannot smoke, cannot drink, cannot ****, cannot purchase anything that they don't want you to.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was hoping the article would've explained what the hell some of these acts are.

"Freedom to Display the American Flag Act"? Oh come on, that's gonna sound idiotic even to the superpatriots.

"Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act"? Are there some unborn children who are unaware of pain now? And can we raise their unborn awareness through legislation? ;)

"Internet Gambling Prohibition"? Okay, there's a real problem there in the case of addicts, but a total prohibition? Has that ever worked before? ;)

"Public Expression of Religion Act"? Oh, you mean things you never see, like prayers before Congressional sessions?

What a bunch of crapola. :rolleyes:

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

not to mention the pain of a life where you don't get the necessary care and love that you should get. Something tells me the doctor won't have to mention that.

e

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i think you meant to say "i'm so glad that my elected officials know my values so well and work so hard to put them into law"

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not at all. There are easily as many incidents of people being told not to fly the flag as there are incidents of flag burning in this country.

While we're at it, we might want to add in a "Dental Patient Pain Awareness Act" just in case anyone thinks that sitting in the dentist's chair equates to a massage table.

This provisions would have the effect of making sure Bill Bennett spends much of his time in Las Vegas, in addition to it's many other benefits.

Yeah but see, Congress can't actually hold a mass in their chambers. So you can see the will of the people is being perverted.

And a frivolous waste of government time and resources. Oh but only the Democrats are wasteful spender. The GOP is the party of fiscal sanity... Yeah, sure.

15. vniow macrumors G4

I saw this the other day when I posted that thread, utterly disgusting.

Is this what happens when you have one party in control of everything?

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes, espescially when they are feeling desperate about their chances in an upcoming election.

17. vniow macrumors G4

Here, this link goes into a bit mroe detail about the various sections.

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

what, four?

no link, but a friend said this year there's been a 33% increase in flag burning over 2004.

there were 3 incidents last year.

19. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

jesus!

my emphasis.

what a load of absolute bollocks.

hey, i was right!

20. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

What a pile of stinking mastodon *****!

The Moral Majority is neither.

We know most of these bills have failed and we know that they are just being used as ploys to distract and divide the voters.

I would be very careful when considering any bill mentioning "cloning" because without careful wording it would be very easy to block further stem cell research.

These faith based extremists have all the freedom they want to practice their faith as they see fit, but they will not force their extremist views on the general population.

If they are so eager to accelerate the coming of rapture,
    they are free to join hands and take a flying leap of faith off the nearest cliff and stay the fk out of my life.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I believe that tidbit came from the Senate debate. One of the GOP Senators was making a big stinky deal about the huge increase (33%!!!) in flag burning cases as proof that legislation is urgently needed.

22. iGary Guest

iGary

That's their problem. :D ;)

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Hmm, Democrats are working for increased minimum wages and medical reform. Why can't they do something useful like the GOP? :rolleyes:

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Seems to me it took the Dems decades to become so inept and corrupt. I still think the neocons have them beat if we adjust for inflation. :p But those are pretty much the only options we have. A party that gets things done, even if it's completely wrong and makes things worse vs. one that takes forever to do nothing. And before you say 3rd party candidate, who are we kidding.

You'd think the Dems would come up with their own version of the Contract For America Redux, since it seems like so many people fall for it.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

A friend of mine just had a perfect idea: start burning the Confederate flag as a protest of the GOP.

Plenty of racist morons around my area have stars and bars bumper stickers on their pickup trucks, ususally next to these types of things:

Attached Files: