House mice

Discussion in 'Community' started by MoparShaha, Feb 8, 2005.

1. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

So I just got home after a 14-hour school day, exhausted and wanting to sleep. As I sat checking various websites before dozing off, I heard a series of scratching sounds. Thinking it was someone upstairs, I ignored it. As it continued, I narrowed it down to my wall.

Yes, there is a mouse in my wall, and it is driving me insane. I think it's trapped, because it's been trying to climb up the wall to no avail for hours now. Now, I'm pretty disturbed by mice, but I've gone to extreme efforts to ensure it can't get into my room, but the scratching is unnerving. Anyways, I'm assuming it's going to die back there, and I don't know what I'm going to do if it starts smelling. Eh, we'll see what happens.

So, what are other people's experience's with rodents in buildings? Any interesting stories?

2. mrjikey macrumors member

mrjikey

During the summer months I would sleep in the basement because it was way too hot on the top floor. We used to always have bad mice problems living in the country until we had a couple of stray cats that decided to make our house their home. Anyway, my nephew or niece built a linking log house and a mouse decided to make that its house. One night when I was just dozing off, the mouse decided to run up my arm, scared the crap out of me. After that when I would go into the basement I would take my BB gun and kill at least one mouse per day. Another time I was just dozing off sleeping in the basement again when I saw something on the wall. I turned on the light and saw that it was a frog. I was too tired to care so I went back to sleep.
    This summer I found a black widow the size of a half dollar on my wall also.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeesh. You have all kinds of creepy crawlers, don't you? :eek:

What with black widows in your house...well, let's just say that if we stop hearing from you at some time in the future, we'll understand why....

I also live in the country, and we used to get mouse problems. Little buggers scurrying along the walls. You'd see 'em out of the corner of your eye when you'd be reading or watching TV, and you'd hear the scratching at night.

We tried mouse traps, and they never seemed to get all of the mice. When we got a cat...problem solved! :)

4. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

We used to live in an apartment that had a couple of mice, unfortunately our cat at the time was more of the Fat Lazy kind. She'd try to play with them for a little while but they would always get away after a while.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm... probably not such a good idea to shoot a BB gun in a basement without eye protection. You'll shoot your eye out and all that.

I've had mice a couple times. Get some of the blocks of poison and put them in a container that the mice can get into but no pets or other animals can. Zip tie that container to something outside your house. The idea is to not lure more mice to your place, but to draw the ones inside out. Then put snappy traps baited with something sticky (I used prune halves) so it won't fall off the trap or be able to be pulled off by a mouse. Check those traps every day and replace them if you get a mouse. Keep it up until you don't catch any more. Good luck!

6. mrjikey macrumors member

mrjikey

It's safe enough to shoot a BB gun in the basement if you have the right kind of gun. Use one that you can pump not CO2 so you can adjust the power. I use about three pumps, where one pump barely gets out the barell. And if you're still worried, wear glasses :)

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I see... I guess I'm used to my Beeman R9. You don't want a .20 caliber projectile moving at 900 fps bouncing off anything your way. :eek:

8. mrjikey macrumors member

mrjikey

Agree :eek:

9. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Whatever you do, do NOT let it die where it is!!!

Once it starts to decay, it will stink out your house to high heaven. I speak from experience, because we had a similar experience, only it was a possum under the house that had been left there by our cat.

Not a lot of fun until we tracked down the source of the foul odor and removed it.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I used to get a mouse every now and then with my cheapo pump air rifle - not in the house though. Traps work better for mice.

We used to have a skunk infestation under our shed - those guys are mean, they would actually chase dogs away, and they really dug up the yard in search of food. I used to take potshots at them when they got close to the garden (I only pumped the gun once or twice for a nuisance level of pain. Most air rifles aren't humane to use on anything bigger than a rat.) Eventually one got hit by a car, and their burrow now houses some rabbits, which are much easier on the yard. ;)

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Heh.

[​IMG]
    =
    [​IMG]

Damn mice.

;)

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Weapons of Mouse Destruction?

13. MoparShaha thread starter macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

LOL :D

Good one.

mrjikey, after hearing your story, I don't feel quite as bad :eek:. As for my little friend, I haven't heard anything since 5 am, so I'm not sure what it's up to. It kept me up all night with its incessant clawing, and I'd like to think it has since escaped. The last thing I need is a decomposing mouse inside my wall.

Anyways, I'll be putting down some traps tomorrow.

14. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Typical mice are small enough that it may not start to smell if it dies.

I once had a rat infestation in my place on Maui. I chased one around my tiny place after it came out a hole in the wall and crawled across my foot. :eek: I baited traps with every food I could think of and never caught any. Finally I started putting little chunks of Irish Spring soap on the traps and caught at least one rat every night for about two weeks. I still shudder at the memories of taking the squeaking rat+trap out on the front porch to smack it with a shoe. It got really old after about 8 straight nights. I also had a squirrel launch itself out of a dresser drawer right onto my face once. Talk about having to change my pants. The ironic thing was that I was living in a National Park at the time and it is illegal to kill anything, so I had to devise a way to lure it out of my place.

15. cpjakes macrumors 6502

I grew up in a rural area and the saying in the house was "If you build a house in a field, you're going to have field mice." So needless to say, there was an infestation once, they apparently liked to live under the dishwasher. But they were taken out one by one with conventional traps.

But a couple of good stories about them...

1) Mom kept a potpurri container on top of the toilet. At least three have tried to get at it and not been able to keep their grip on the porcelain. So we'd wake up and flush them.

2) We had one in our kitchen and as it was running across the stove I singed it with the gas burner. He was easy to identify when we finally caught him.

3) I was watching a movie with my mom and sister one night and one ran across the fireplace hearth. We noticed it go behind the TV (on the hearth) and waited for one of the traps to go off. One did, there was about 30 seconds of scurrying and then the second trap went off (if you put them end to end, you have a better chance of getting rid of them, but at the cost of an additional trap). There was more scurrying and it managed to flop itself about five feet across the hearth before it fell off into a shoebox I had lined up for it. So, with a trap on its head and one on its ass, I walked it out to the field across the street and chucked the box. It was flopping the entire time.

Mom's had some more trouble with them recently, but none have spectacular tales such as the above... :D

cpjakes

16. mrjikey macrumors member

mrjikey

Best of luck :) Hopefully he found his way out of your walls and back where he belongs. I remember probably ten or fifteen years ago I was pretty little we had a porcupine on our front porch. We coudln't get it to leave and we didn't want the dogs to decide it would be fun to play with so my oldest brother got his .22 rifle and tried shooting it. He shot it in the back and it ditn't even phase him. So me and my other brothers distracted it while he went around to where he could get a shot at its head. Worked :D We ended up burring it in the field.