House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewsk

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Jul 27, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I have read this book about 2 years ago, and have just found it in my pile of books. This one goes into my small "keep" pile.

This is the most wild book I've ever read. And the scariest. And the most "what the **** is going on here" book ever. And the interactive reading the book forces you to do mimics the "what the ****" of what's going on. It gets worse and worse as the book progresses.

This book is just ****ing awesome.

Have anyone here read this book yet? If you have, discuss! If you have not, get yourself a copy right this moment!
  2. bluemouse macrumors member

May 1, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    I absolutely adore this book. Not something I say lightly, either; I'm a pretty critical reader and I often find myself undewhelmed. In this case, though, I was overwhelmed at the least. I'll second the recommendation above. Read it.

As a side note, if you're into similarly eccentric reading material, I suggest Thomas Pynchon. Gravity's Rainbow is another complex but rewarding book.
  3. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2005
    Virginia, U.S.A.
    I will read anything if it is recommended to me or if it sticks out in my favorite used book shop. "House of Leaves" stuck out; originally because the binding was noticeable, and even more once I opened it up. But I currently have about 4 other books to work on before I will have time to open "House of Leaves". And, frankly, once my semester begins, I won't have much time to open any of those other 4 books. Perhaps, I'll do some digging for this post once I finish the book.
  4. Badradio macrumors 6502

Aug 19, 2004
    I started reading it last year, but I gave up half way through, and it's very rare I'll do that. I admire the scope of the book, but it was soooooo dry to read, and the three-story structure really interrupted the flow. I read somewhere that it took him 10 years to write it, and you can tell.
  5. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Aug 22, 2002
    I have the book and it's been awhile since my last attempt to read it. I made it about 75 pages in before I had to stop. I was trying to read it before retiring for the evening and it just wasn't working out.

Something similar that you may enjoy (which I have attempted to read now on three separate occasions) is The Tunnel by William H. Gass. Whew, now that is one heavy-trippy book.

The Tunnel