House OKs Faith As Head Start Hiring Issue

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 22, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

"Mr. Bush, tear down that wall!"

oh, the irony.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Ow... my first amendment!!
    So, why are they receiving federal money?

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

combination of GOP's self-professed desire for smaller gov't, penchant for privatization, and overtones of christian charity being the best charity there is, imo.

and now they can discriminate and direct their resources to only christian kids!

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

204 days until I can help vote them out (not the nearest election, how many days until I'm 18)

only 204 days...

Come on voting! w00t w00t!

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But of course there's an explosion of whining every time some teacher has to put their crucifix in their shirt...

But go ahead and discriminate the other way. That's cool. :rolleyes:

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Genuine question: What happened to the notion of 'checks and balances' supposedly inherent in the US political system?

This was something I was taught about in history at school...

7. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Who is going to keep them in check? The Republican-led Executive Branch, the Republican-led Legislative Branch, or the weak Judicial?

8. Zaid macrumors 6502

Yeh who guards the guardians

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well theoretically those checks don't come into play just because Congress passes a bill. The president could choose to veto the bill rather than sign it into law (yeah right) and Congress could still go over his head with a two-thirds vote in both houses.

Once it becomes law, an aggrieved party could bring a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the law, and seek to have it overturned by the courts.

The checks and balances are still there, they just don't come into play just yet in our system.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Interesting that you learned that in history class and not in your civics class (or current events, or political science, or...)

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

quite normal... history and geography/economic science were the main classes for politics...

personally we never got to US politics/history at all ... perhaps because there never were colonies of austria in north america

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sorry, my comment was a poor attempt at humor - that she learned about the checks and balances in "history" class, as in something that existed previously but no longer.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I had a friend withdrew her child from a head start school because they were pushing religion when they said they weren't. It bothers me that my tax dollars go to pay for stuff like this. Religion is fine and all, but I'd like to keep it separate from government.