House panel defies Bush, votes for subpoenas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CNN

Wow. The House and the Senate. With Bush claiming executive privilege, we may see Constitutional challenges on two fronts.

My only concern is, if it ends up being the Supreme Court that decides this issue, what'll you think will happen? I mean with this Supreme Court. :rolleyes:

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, Bush has always thought he was king. If it goes to the Supreme Court, and they decide in his favor, he may just become king.

3. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Uh, I wouldn't call him king.

Kings can get beheaded under monarchy rule if the people want that. I don't think that we are going to have happen under the FR now, do we?

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The dems are starting to get all orgasmic over the thought of having Rove on the stand. If he's as smart as they all think he is, then this is just part of his diabolical plan.. muhahaha

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from when snow was a journalist in detroit, on clinton in 1998:

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All I can say is if Bush is against it, it must be good. Gonzo,Rove,Libbey all cut of the same political cloth of corporate rule.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He's not that smart. But I'm sure someone will find a way to weasel him out of another one. Goes beyond him though. It's all of them.

Hey, anyone notice that even Republicans are getting pissed now? More so than ever. Finally waking up, or just wanting to keep their jobs as they watch all credibility fade away?

8. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I think this whole witch hunt is sickening and harmful for the country.

9. Queso macrumors G4

All Congress wants is the truth. If the White House co-operated rather than insisting on marking their territory, it would all be over quickly and probably with a lot less media attention.

10. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

No this is far beyond just truth. They want blood.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Maybe now they do. The White House dug its heels in and refused to play along. So Congress has to make the White House back down or the White House won't listen to it on anything else. It may seem like a witchhunt after the past six years, but this is the way your system is supposed to work, with each side keeping tabs on the other.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

yeah, uh-huh. the truth and a public spectacle with Karl Rove.

Its astounding that not one person has admitted that this at least part a democratic witch hunt.

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is beginning to look more and more like Watergate. Granted there are differences: Watergate was a criminal affair and this (apparently) isn't. But the stonewalling and claims of executive privilege echo across the decades. The more Nixon circled the wagons and defied Congress, the more it hurt him. Hopefully (as in everything else) Bush will fail to learn the lessons of history and keep on doing it until, like Nixon, he destroys himself.

I know. This alone won't hurt him the way Watergate hurt Nixon. But between this, the Plame/Libby thing (which isn't finished, if Libby starts talking) and the surge, Bush knows he's walking a steep ledge in a hurricane. He may not be forced to resign, but he will leave office in total disgrace. There is absolutely no question about that. It's just a matter of how deep and wide that disgrace will run.

14. Queso macrumors G4

No, but it is territorial pissing. Congress is going to take this all the way just to prove the point that it can.

15. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Every politician is power hungry. That's the thing about politics, the ones who want to serve the most are usually the least fit to do so.

16. Queso macrumors G4

They mostly don't want to serve at all, but to lead. Those that wish to serve normally stay at local level.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you are wrong. seeking accountability for the actions of this white house is absolutely necessary for this country to heal. just like watergate.

rather than standing on your soapbox and screaming 'partisanship', maybe you should bother to look at the facts. if the planets are aligned correctly, you might actually harbor a rational thought.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Then please enlighten us with your version of what the dems are looking for. Because I havent heard anything beyong guesses and conjecture.

They can't legislate so they want to investigate.

19. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The truth is that a handful of attorneys that work for the Justice department were fired. There. I saved them a lot of trouble figuring that out. Congress better cough up the law they think was broken or shutup and move along.

20. Queso macrumors G4

Fixed that for you just there. No thanks necessary. :p

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well they've got all this power now, they're itching to use it.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's what we put them there for- to use it. They were put there because the country isn't happy with Bush or the neocons. You're damn right, and they'd better use that power. I still think they're being far too nice.

23. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

What exactly does the term neocon mean anyway? I hear it tossed around so much but given it's usage it's really impossible to deduce exactly what it means. Are we talking Reagan type conservatives? I liked Reagan...even if I was only 6 years old.

24. aquajet macrumors 68020

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocon

Of course you liked Reagan, you were 6. You should have been a gay man during the advent of the AIDS crisis, or seen every state-run mental facility in the country shut down. Yeah, good times. Here's a bus ticket lunatic, go wherever you want, you just can't stay here. Oh, and if you have AIDS, sorry nothing we can do. Just go die and by the way, good riddance.