House passes voter ID law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Sep 20, 2006.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Sounds like a poll tax to me. If this bill passes and survives judicial review, I would hope popular resistance to voting chicanes would be swift and fierce.

Deep down inside I know it's more likely to quietly cause millions to never vote. And our great republic dies a little more...

link

2. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

How is this a tax in any form, unless you're counting the fee to get a driver's license or non-driving ID (which is minimal - $20 every 4 years in my state)? Passports are also inexpensive, and are valid for 10 years.

Social Security Cards are free, unless you bought a fake one.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've always had to show my drivers license to vote....or is there some other form of ID I could use if I wanted to?

4. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's a tax because there's a fee required to get a photo ID. It bothers me that these IDs would not be issued universally and automatically, but on demand and for a fee. More significant are the obstacles it creates for a casual or new voter.

Passports are $97 and $67 for renewal.

I don't need ID to vote. I go to the polling place, state my name, sign the register and vote. That's how it's done Constitutionally.

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

This is nothing more than a ploy to discourage voter turnouts by the poor, the handicapped and the elderly. In other words, the voters who typically vote against
    the GOP.

They'll be having grandma turned away at the polls because even though she voted for the last 50 years, now she needs a photo I.D. with proof of citizenship.

The Republican regime knows that they are in trouble with a strong Democratic
    turnout.

This is a fight for power and they are using every dirty trick in the book.

6. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think it may work, too. To many Americans enmeshed in modern active life with all its transactions (credit card, car payments, registration, license, inspection and insurance, internet access, online banking) something as simple as presenting an ID seems not at all inconvenient.

But there are many registered voters who fall totally outside this lifestyle, and they may not* lose easy and equal access to the polls just because they're out of the loop.

*as per the U.S. Constitution

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

So, what if you arrive and vote before you arrive and vote, since not identification is required? In the 2000 election around Orlando, we had multiple cases of people being told that they had already voted.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

To all the nay-sayers about the cost of the ID, read the article again. States must provide Photo ID's free of charge to those unable to afford them. If enforced, this will certainly help prevent much of the fraud that occurred during the last election.

jW

9. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's voter fraud and it's a crime. You don't solve it by violating the Constitutional rights of every American.

10. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So which form do you fill out to prove you can't afford them? Which line do you stand in? Is this in the DMV? How do you get there?

It would make sense to have all voters pass a literacy test, too, since you can't very well vote properly if you can't read the ballot, right?

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's a big if. I don't see states just handing out free IDs left and right.

Even if they do give them out for free to those who cannot afford it, there will still be hurdles in place to prove you can't afford it. Who knows what they'll want as proof of income...tax forms? Tons of other paperwork?

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Preventing voter fraud far outweighs a simple ID cost in my opinion. There were to many cases regarding voter fraud here in Texas. A majority of the cases came from a certain southern country, illegally...

Secondly, the state of Georgia wanted to do something very simliar. If you contacted the state saying you need to register, They would mail you the form to your residence. All one would do is simply fill out the form, and mail it back in the pre-paid envelope. Then an ID card would be sent out. No need to pay for the ID card, taxes covered it. No need to wait in lines, you can do it in the mail if you wanted. I suppose something very similar would be in order?

I say just give the ID card free to everyone and end this silly argument.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're going to let it slide because you're afraid that the government is going to see that you really are who you say you are?

That's about as bad as the people who wouldn't let the admitting clerks at the hospital enter their Social Security Number even though the commonwealth demanded it.

It's not nearly as bad as the state of Floriduh using the drivers license database to get a little extra cash, is it? Talk about a lack of privacy.

14. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Did you just make that up or are you simply mistaken?

15. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You've totally mischaracterized my argument. I'm not saying to let voter fraud "slide" and I'm not saying a voter should not have to identify herself at the polling place.

I'm saying you can't deal with something like, say, illegal drugs by searching everyone's house, block by block until you find them all. That's unconstitutional. Voter fraud is a crime and should be prosecuted, but not at the expense of the voting rights of the innocent.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

issues already mentioned aside, this is a gift to the anti-illegal immigrant right.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to put that much edge on it.

I don't think that they should be searching everyone's house, either but I think that we need identification cards that have our history and allow us to do whatever we need to do without the ability of governments to tamper.

I just think it's time for the U.S.A. to grow up and join the rest of the world. The ability to identify anyone at a moment's notice would do a world of good in healthcare. People see it as an invasion of privacy but it would be so useful. Unfortunately, they would have to back it up with a thumb print to make sure.

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I could have sworn Georgia residents could have voted in the mail via absentee ballots? They also would have offered that Georgia Licensing on Wheels program for those who live in rural areas. People who can't afford an ID card just have to sign an affidavit saying they are "indigent"

Where is the problems again?

19. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's not what the article says.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If I've gotta show proof of ID to vote, they've gotta show proof to me that the poll workers know what they're doing and that the vote isn't fixed.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Intelligent workers and a government that works for us? Next, they'll be instating a feedback system to ask how we think they're doing and actually use the results to change.

22. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

YES!!!! ;)

I'm sure you've heard about Diebold's new disaster with the sign in logs.

Maybe that's it, they'll completely blow the election causing massive civil unrest, then Bush can declare martial law and suspend the Constitution.

[​IMG]

23. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm certainly glad to see the era of big government is over.