House votes to end offshore drilling ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 1, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

i'm not going to look it up now, but it'd be interesting to see how many of the reps who voted for this are worried about their own midterm elections.

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

With the price at the pump climbing higher and higher, I did not think it would be long before we saw legislation of this nature.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And of course it'll still be $4 a gallon next year anyway.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Makes a good campaign ad though. And more profits for the oil companies while ravaging the environment. We need oil (technically), but I'm wondering if this is actually going to help anything. Especially in the short term.

In the past, I might have supported this, but now I'm a little more suspicious.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

None other than Thomas Friedman, no liberal by any definition, would strongly disagree with the "we need oil" assessment. And he's right, to an extent; the more of it we have, the cheaper it will be short term and the less incentive there will be to get away from our reliance on it.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think you misunderstood me. I should have said "technically". Or maybe, we need oil? Or we "need" oil. ;)

Subtlety doesn't come across well on the internet.

7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm hoping the bill gets killed in the Senate. The only way we're ever going to fully move over to ethanol and biodiesel, is for the price of oil to remain high.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I really doubt that additional offshore drilling will affect the price of oil all that much. As with the ANWR, at best it augments a declining supply.

As far as environmental harm, I can only note that the best fishing in the Gulf of Mexico is nearby the offshore rigs. IIRC, for every 100 feet of depth, there is about an acre of habitat created by the legs and braces of a rig. An entire food chain develops rather quickly, from algae and barnacles on up to game fish. Same deal as the artificial reefs we made from WW II Liberty Ship hulls.

A problem with the Gulf of Mexico as habitat is that there is little relief. It's relatively flat except for a few seamounts of small size. So, any sort of structure, from a fish's standpoint, is an improvement. Texas Parks & Wildlife experimented with banding of old tires. They found they did not need to use stainless steel. By the time ordinary strapping steel could rust, the encrusted barnacles held the whole thing together. These "tunnels" are popular with grouper.

'Rat