Houston - Anyone?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Hoef, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Okay .... It finally happened. After possible relocations to Rotterdam or Toronto, my company decided to move me to Houston. Currently living in DC arghh :eek:

Now I know that Houston has an obesity problem and is probably Republican (yeah and you need a car). But other than that no idea. Is anyone from MR living in Houston and where? Tips, tricks welcome. Ideally I am looking for something Urban living (where people actually walk on the street, shops, bars etc...), like Georgetown/DC or what you might find in Center City Philadelphia. May 1 is the date....... Thanks for all your help in advance

2. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

In houston this public transporation system is not very strong. Pretty much you are going to want to live in one of the suberbers of houston and you will have to get a car. To many people get a bad rep about houston but in reality it is a great city.

3. Hoef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Any suggestions on suburb? ... Has to have shops, walking, galleries etc... Any downtown action or is it all financial?

4. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I'd say finding something where you can walk and use public transportation is out of the question. Houston is very spread out and requires a car. Because of these distances you want to live fairly close to where you work.

west I10 is the major traffic parking lot.

Commercially we have nice shops (Apple, IKEA, Armani, Sony, etc) and plenty of things to do. Sadly sometimes Dallas gets more of the concerts than Houston.

Nice places to live in Houston (keep in mind I'm only a 2 year resident):

Buying a house (houston housing is very cheap compared to DC. tip, when buying a house be sure to live in a master planned community as texas has lax zoning laws):
    West Houston (lots of new neighborhoods along highway 99 in the Katy area)
    Sugarland (south west houston, lots of money here) down by highway 6 and highway 59. Further down 59 is Bush's ranch
    The Woodlands (north houston) north of the main airport (IAH) south of Conroe. Nice houses here.

Upscale apartments:
    Galleria area (near the 610 west loop) there are a few very nice new apartment buildings (500k+) and maybe as close as you will get to being able to walk around a few places.

Nicer apartments:
    Most of the housing areas above have nice apartments and there are some new ones going up in Galveston on the coast as well.

Politics and People:
    The people are generally friendly. You will find more pick up trucks than you ever saw in your life. There is a big element of "country" personalities. Yea Republicans (granted I'm one too, but I'm more of a middle of the road kinda of guy) but still a share of Democrats. There is a mix of nationalities, but mostly latin and caucasian.

My Summary:
    Not a bad place to live. A lot more fun than Oklahoma (where I'm from). Would rather live in San Francisco (if I had the cash for a nice house). I like to call Houston a southern LA because of how large and spread out it is (4th largest city in the US).

I forgot to mention there is no state income tax, but property taxes are higher because of this.

5. hoyboy9 macrumors member

Hey Hoef! I'm currently attending Rice University right in the middle of downtown Houston.

I live approximately 10-15 minutes away from the Houston Galleria, a very ritzy shopping area, and the Texas Medical Center is right across the street. Rice is located in a nice area of town called the museum district. I've been here going on 3 years now, and I love it. I came here from Michigan, and it's quite a change.

You don't have to worry about what you may perceive about rampant Republicanism around here. While I happen to be Republican myself, I find Houston to be a pretty cosmopolitan area, at least around Rice. The Hispanic community here is quite large in Houston, so there is a diverse population of people.

You have to ask yourself why Houston is the fattest city in the US! It's because the food is EXCELLENT. Every kind of cuisine you can think of is great here, and it's generally cheap. Want Chinese? Go to Chinatown. Want BBQ, Tex/mex, steak, etc? Texas has the best.

As for transportation, the situation is not so good. You will need a car. I59 (one of the main stretches through downtown) is always a drag during most of the day, and so is the 610 loop. They are currently building a mass transit train system in the middle of Houston that will eventually reach both airports, but it won't be done for some time. Right now the train goes from downtown, through Rice, through the medical center, all the way over to University of Houston.

As for housing, I highly recommend the Rice Village/museum district area. There are many high quality housing/appartment arrangements around here that are quite reasonable. The area I'm talking about is kind of south/southwest Houston, 45 minutes from Bush Intercontinental, 20 minutes from Hobby.

You'll love it here!

6. Hoef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Thanks for your reply guys!! I not looking to ride the public transport at all ... I heard that eating out was great so looking forward to that. The same person mentioned an area called montrose or so ... should have some bohemian crowd. Is that true or is it relative? He mentioned the University area too.... So I will definitely check that out.

7. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Yep, Montrose is a street and yes very artsy around there. Lots of cool stuff.