Houston, Texas

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by klb028, Jun 19, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

So, has anyone from this forum gone to a launch today at any of the Apple stores in the Houston area? Share your experiences and any valuable information you picked up along the way!

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

It's that time of the year again! Who's going for the in-store experience and what location will you be at? Sugar Land, Galleria, Memorial City, The Woodlands...

3. macrumors 6502

Going to the Sugarland one in First Colony

4. macrumors member

First Colony for me. Went to the 3GS launch last year at about 2pm and only had to wait about 45 minutes to be done. Line was probably 50 people deep.

5. macrumors 6502

Wait you went at 2pm and there still was a line? When did the store open?

6. macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I reserved a 3GS 32GB last year at Willowbrook Mall.
    I waited in that line for about 45 minutes. I arrived about 1/2 hour after the store opened.
    They had 2 lines..... 1st for reserved, 2nd for anyone. They were taking a LOT more people from the reserved line first. The 'anyone' line was pretty well not moving.

7. macrumors member

I wasn't actually there to buy the phone.. I already picked mine up from AT&T store around 8. My friend though after he seen mine wanted one.. he didn't preorder or anything so went to that Apple store. I'm not sure when they opened or anything.

8. macrumors 6502a

I just moved down here to Texas, but I reserved mine at the Baybrook Mall, is that considered the "Houston area" ?

Andrew

9. macrumors 6502a

I'm in Houston and wanted to pre-order a white one. Apple touted the white model at the WWDC and their website but didn't bother to state that it wouldn't be available at launch - not cool!

So much for Apple's stellar customer service & public relations...

10. macrumors 6502a

If or when they announce the white ones I'll be at baybrook.

11. macrumors newbie

I got the 3g at the galleria 2 days after launch there was a line of about 50 people i would say, But they only received a shipment of 17. luckily, i was number 14. I have one reserved at the galleria this coming thursday. Im debating whether i should brave the crowds or just hang around then go because it said it would be reserved until the end of the business day. is anyone here camping at the galleria?

12. macrumors member

I'll be at either Willowbrook or The Woodlands mall. Any idea how the malls handle people waiting outside? If there is some kind of official entrance with my luck I will be on the opposite side.

13. macrumors member

I worked at The Woodlands for the 3G and 3GS launch. You'll want to enter the mall near the escalators (I'm assuming you know where that is, across from the food court) The mall opens it's doors at 6, so that's the earliest you can get inside the mall, I don't know what their policy is about overnight campers since there never was one during those two launches. Good Luck!

I'm going to Baybrook to get mine, hoping they get a few white ones in stock to snag :)

14. macrumors newbie

Willowbrook at noon. Hoping their traffic is a little less than the Galleria or The Woodlands.

TK

15. macrumors member

Willowbrook is the the 'slowest' store in the market, so you should be fine, but the craziness may be pretty high. The woodlands will for sure be busy and the galleria will be utterly insane :)

16. macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Good to know about The Woodlands store, I'm going to stop by tomorrow with my confirmation e-mail just to assure that mine is reserved. I've heard from others that there will be a line for reserved phones, and then a regular line. I hope so because like most people I'm sure, I have a real 9-5 job, and can't be messing around all day just to get a new phone. I plan to get there around 5am just in case. :cool:

17. macrumors newbie

I've been at Sugar Land for the first three iPhone launches. Im going to change it up and go to Memorial City this time, got a reservation through the Apple store app. Anyone else going to Memorial City?

18. macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I'm surprised how few people on here are talking about the Galleria. Is this thread about Houston or the suburbs?

Is anybody going to be at the Galleria? Any advice about when to show up etc? I have to catch a flight on Thursday at 2:30 but I thought I would try to head over early and see how bad it is (I reserved a phone). If I can't get one I guess I'll just have to wait until I'm back in town (I'm going to Canada where the phone will not yet be available and I wanted to bring one with me).

19. macrumors member

There will. Be TONS of people in the galleria. Most people on these forums know to go to other stores I would imagine to not deal with the craziness. The galleria is the closest store to my home, but I'd much rather drive an extra 15 minutes and save the hours waiting in line. Since the mall area is open 24 hours (due to the Weston being there) there's no telling when the lines will start. Probably the night before

20. macrumors newbie

When I got my 3G a week or two after launch, the line was so long in the Galleria that they took a reservation for me and I had to come back 4 hours later. Get there EARLY on the day - my thought process on Willowbrook was that we'd have the downtown crowd (or y,d and full of c) heading to the Galleria and I wanted to avoid that crush.

TK

21. macrumors newbie

For the win!:)

I have to take my daughter to swimming lessons in the morning, and I think I'll hope that AT&T's servers get some sort of break after the morning rush.

I still have to get them to put my upgrade plan through, so I'll be a bit longer.

TK

22. macrumors 65816

j-a-x

That doesn't sound too promising. If only there was an Apple store Downtown (closer to where I live). I made my reservation at the Galleria so that's pretty much the only option for me (unless Radioshack in Montrose has them and lets me buy one with no reservation... I can try that on the way out). I am not the kind of person who will camp out or go at 3 am to wait in a line but I really wanted to get one on Thursday. I hope they at least have a separate line for people with reservations or something!

23. macrumors member

Do you have a reservation? If not you'll want to try another store if you don't want to camp out. Sorry :(

24. macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Yes, I made my reservation at the Galleria so I don't think going elsewhere makes any sense. Do you think I'll get to wait in a separate line since I have a reservation? I wonder how long I'll have to wait if I show up for the 7 am opening. I don't have to work but my flight leaves at 2 pm (so I should be home at 12 so I can leave for the airport at 12:30 or so). I guess I probably have enough time to just show up at 7 am and then wait it out. Seems kind of ridiculous but I wanted to bring my new phone to Canada with me and this is pretty much the only way.

25. macrumors member

You should be fine if you get there at 7. They should have 2 seperate lines, but both will be long, though I'm sure they'll have a ton of staff. You shouldn't be there more than a couple hours.