Houston, we got an "audio" problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gusanitoverde, Sep 20, 2006.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Facts: I got a last generation Power PC powerbook 17" 1.6 Ghz.
    I recorded an audio conference from the internet that could only open in Windows Media Player (.wax file), but the volume of the conference as it was recorder is way to low. once i acquire the file and was stored in my Mac I transported the audio file to Quicktime, selected Movie properties > Aido settings, and increased the volume to the max, then, saved the file and the increase of volume is not saved. I tried many times. Quictime is not saving the increased volume. I tried exporting the file to itunes and there is npthing I could do. I tried to export to garage band, but hte file is about 2 Hours of duration and garage band can't hold anything more than an hour long, so it chops the file in half.

Please help, what could I do?????

One "old school" work around I found. I converted the file to .wav in Quicktime, then I transfered the .wav file to a Windows machine and opened it with Sound Recorder, then I selected "increase volume by 25%" and it's working, but it has taken so far 2 hours waiting for the 2 Ghz Pentium 4 processor Windows machine to finish and I am not done saving with the file yet.

Is there any way to increase the volume of a file without using Windows?
    Quicktime can't get it right!

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

2. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Many ways but one would be to convert to a wav then use Audacity (it's free) to mess with the volume. That should do it.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you get no joy from GarageBand, you may want to try Audacity.

4. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Friends, now i am frustrated.

First, thanks for the advice, I'll get to try it.

Imagine, the Windows machine finally saved the file in Sound Recorder, and when I played it. The volume stayed the same, It did not saved the increase of volume!!!! It did exactly what Quicktime Pro did... Nothing! How hard could it be to alter the audio volume of a file?

I wonder if WireTap (the application I used to record the original audio file from the internet) has placed in the file anything that prevents the actual integrity of the file to be altered.

Please advice.

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If QT can play it, I assume iTunes can play the file as well. In that case, you import it into iTunes, "Get Info" about your file (well, track for iTunes) and increase the default volume for that particular one. As long as, you listen to it via iTunes, it should be fine.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's doubtful, unless you were trying to change a setting on the file in place and players are simply ignoring the metadata.

Give Audacity a shot, i know it can do this. It will save a new file with the adjustments intact.

[ Edit: Oh oh oh -- and if you are trying to listen to this in iTunes, make sure you don't have that horrid Sound Check thing turned on. It can hide all the adjustments you try to make! ]

7. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Dear Friends

Thank you!!!!

Audacity did it!!!!!! I wonder how come Quicktime didn't?

Just, one more Audacity question. When I wanted to transport the file to MP# it asked me to locate a LAME library. I didn;t have one. THerefore, i had to export the finished file as a .wav and then transfer it back top MP3 in itunes.

Please help.

Thanks for all your help.