How about 10.4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dswoodley, Sep 22, 2003.

1. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

With 10.3 almost at GM and the developers pretty much working on bug fixes, does anyone have any scoops on what we can look forward to in 10.4? just wondering...

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

What is even the code name for it? Lion? Tiger? Bear-waitaminute...

3. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh my...

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

5. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

It never ceases to amaze me how as soon as people get something new, there are always those few already looking for what's next. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing or even both.

6. littlemacdude macrumors newbie

i would like spring loaded windows in the dock, and of course it would be code named hippo. :cool:

(1st post!:D)

7. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

How can it be a bad thing? As a major consumer of Apple products, i'd like to have some idea of what the roadmap for the platform is. Wouldn't you? :)

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Let's see

Puma (Solid black cat) 10.1

Jaguar (Spotted black on yellow cat) 10.2

Panthar (Solid black cat) 10.3

... (Spotted black on yellow cat) 10.4

uh Cheetah or Leopard is my guess!

we still have cougar, lynx, bobcat, tiger, lion, ocelot, serval, pampas, margay, and caracal.

I personally can't wait for Mac OS 10.8 Margay!

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Exactly what will advance knowledge of MacOS X 10.4 going to do for me before MacOS X 10.3 is even released? I intend to be highly productive on Jaguar for a year or more before I ante up again for 10.4.

10. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

i guess it depends on what your needs from the new upgrade are. I know quite a few people who are willing to sit 10.3 out waiting for some features that will hopefully be put into 10.4. :eek:

11. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

maybe Amoebae..?

...oh wait, Bill Gates probably reserved that for the next version of Windows...

:D

vSpacken

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

IMHO you know quite a few silly people. If you can't afford Panther don't buy it. If you are satisfied with Jaguar, then keep it. From all I have seen and heard of Panther, it is as much a step above Jaguar as System 7 was a step above System 6. I will not wait a year because some one favorite feature or another is not included. You and your friends are free to make your own decisions.

13. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

When did I mention anything about cost? That's not the issue - the features are. My point it is, that it would be *nice* (not required mind you) to have some idea where the platform is going beyond the immediate two or three months...I agree it looks to be a huge leap and look very forward to it - but why call someone "silly" just because they can't see the value in those features, or those particular new features aren't needed by them. Not trying to pick a fight here, btw.

14. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i agree! then when i came home announcing "honey, i just got gonorrhea", i wouldn't get such hostility :eek:

:)
    pnw

16. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is the last time I try to start a serious thread;)

17. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

will 10.4 be exclusively for g5? will the rest of us just get revisions of 10.3 ad infinitum? eg) OSX 10.3.9.9.9.9? :)

18. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

RE: windows codename:

"VIRUS" or more specifically, EBOLA VIRUS

19. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Sorry, "Cheetah" was the codename for OS X 10.0, IIRC. So that's out of the question.

20. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

But as those of us who used it remember, it was anything but a cheetah in terms of speed. :D

21. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-ibookin'

Apple knows irony. :D

22. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

One thing seems for sure: Apple will not continue to revise ad infinitum for legacy software/computers. It's not like there's a 9.9 or anything for all the legacy machines.

Anyway, I think the question is a good one, but hard to answer yet. We don't know the full feature set for Panther. And I doubt Apple has fully considered what to put in 10.4 or when to release it.

Let's see what Panther includes, and then discuss whether the upgrade is worth it.

23. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I don't think that Apple can announce an OS timetable. It not like windows where there are a million things that you can't do, Apple is adding to their OS based on what people want, not what they need. Predicting what the consumer market wants is much harder than predicting what they need. That's why windows can give you a five year estimate on what you have always needed to do that will finally be incorporated into the OS.