How about an iChat video appliance?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by unclepain, Mar 17, 2004.

1. unclepain macrumors member

Jan 23, 2002
    Va Beach VA
    I've been experimenting with some video conferencing apps and hardware for several years and I really like how iChat is coming along. What about this.... Let's say Apple creates an appliance that has an integrated camera and mic, but connects directly to a television and your broadband connection. All it would do is run a version of iChat and do video/audio conferencing. Apple has the technology to do this right now with little R and D needed to get something like this to market. The questions is... Is there a market for this kind of device? Would you buy one to communicate with people around the world? What do you think the price would come in at? Just curious....
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

i have used the polycom products extensively, they are pretty good. i used setup top boxes in a small classroom situation and very large rack mount setups of the polycom eq (with different cameras) in a large 3 location multicast situation. both situation for real time pictures uses T1 lines for bandwidth. even then you get some delay with the voice and lips syncing sometimes. there needs to be more bandwidth to make this pratical for real time interaction. if you don't mind the delay in the picture i guess it is ok for cusomer level broadband.