How about favorite laptop designs...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Moxiemike, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Mostly sub notebooks though I threw the lombard/pismo as they were fairly portable.

row1 l-r: Duo 280c; Duo 2300; PB 2400
    row2 l-r: Pismo; Dual USB iBook; PB g4 12"

I think my fave might have to be the PB 2400.
    something about it was revolutionary.... it was a POWERHOUSE in its day... and it managed to fit all of that brawn in a small case. Unlike the PB g4 12" of today... which i LOVE... but I think it's underpowered. And for a reason. :)

Though I think there SHOULD be a 1ghz PBg4 12.... to go along with the 867.

Attached Files:

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Mine by far is the original TiPB 15" design. I the new AlPB are ok, but there's something about the Titanium that to me makes it a classic.

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    i would say the last powerbook design before the titanium. that tuxedo black look is damn sexy. i would love to have a pismo with a g4 upgrade. *drool*
  4. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I don't know too much about older Mac notebooks, but I think the Pismo's curves were just sexy, combine that with the finish of the Tibook or the Albook and you've got a winner.

But for PC notebooks, I'm kinda partial to some of the Japanese subportables they have over at (though not all of them)

5. Foucault macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    The Titanium Powerbook definitely the best design. It looks futuristic, and there is no other laptop out there that looks like it. The silver finish gives it a professional, classy, and sophisticated. The smooth titanium finish gives it sex appeal. It's a great design without trying too hard to be beautiful. It's subtle, user friendly, and that slot loading drive is a remarkable showpiece. This is the best laptop design so far.
  6. Das macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2003
    By far, the ti editions (until you chip or mangle it of course). The huge widescreens, slot drives and thin size. Of course I do like the 17" AL books with the new light up keyboard.

As for a runner up, I'd say the clam shell g3's. For some reason, those things just looked so dang cool and fun.
  7. blogo macrumors 6502

Apr 1, 2002
    The pismo must be the coolest design, because i say so ;)
  8. nicmac macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2003
    The 12" keyboard is painted plastic to simulate Aluminum.

The 12" keyboard is just a bad paint job .
    It is just so cheap looking.
    The ti books keyboards are more elegant.
    Give me a 15.4" Aluminum powerbook with a Backlit TiBook style keyboard then you will have a truly sexy machine and
    you will have my $$$$$.
    The keyboard will not show finger prints and will
    look cleaner.
  9. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    Original TiBook, by far. It was the cleanest design, very elegant, and VERY sexy at the same time. The new Aluminum PBooks seem a bit cheap, by comparison. I dunno, there's something about the curves on it that make it seem too much like the iBook. I actually like the new iBook better than the 12" PB.

After that, the clamshell iBooks were very fun to play with, and certainly different looking. I still smile whenever I see one of those things...:D

Haven't seen the 17" PB, so I can't comment, but I'm assuming it'll be like the 12", which I don't like as much as the 15".
  10. wolfywolfbits macrumors member

Jan 31, 2003
    NZ Auckland

The Ai 12" and probably the new Ai 15" when they come out.

They are like a cross between the Ti and the Pismo. They are metal and elegant like the Ti, but have the more ergonomic curves of the Pismo.
  11. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    For Form Factor: The 12" iBook used to be my favorite laptop in terms of form factor. Then the 12" PowerBook came along. I love the size and the built-in optical drive.

For Looks: The 15" PowerBook. It just looks right. The titanium finish is stylish yet subtle and it is well proportioned. The keyboard of the 17" PowerBook looks too small compared to the size of the laptop, although it still beats many PC laptops in the looks factor.
  12. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    I love the new powerbooks, but the pismos were hot, I wish they still offered that model.
    oh and on the cute factor, I'd give that to the current iBooks.
  13. ejb190 macrumors 65816

I have been thinking about ordering a 12" PB tonight, but I think I had better wait until I have my next paycheck in hand...

The 12" PB reminds me in a way of my first notebook - a Compaq Contura Aero 8/25 (yes folks, that's 25 MHz & 8 MB Ram!) Laptops seem to be getting bigger in recent years. I am glad Apple dared to go smaller, just a Compaq did a number of years ago.

The Aero was smaller than a peice of paper and weighed in a 3.5 lbs. They just don't make ultra portables like this anymore. This computer had nothing I didn't need. Still used it until the hard drive crashed a couple of months back.

Attached Files:

• i-1.jpg
      File size:
      12.7 KB
  14. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's pretty darn, well, pretty! :)
  15. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 14, 2002
    I'm into this:

Attached Files:

16. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    You can find a Pismo in eBay for $600 and you can add a G4 500 for $200!!!

And if you don't get them I'm gonna do it once I get to New York!!!:D :D :D
  17. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2002
    Notre Dame
    the 15" TiBook is just a beautiful machine, not to leave out the 12 and 17 inchers. the pismo's cool too. you can't not like the mac portable, except for the fact that its about as portable as an iMac. :) Although, vniow, there were some really sharp lookin notebooks at dynamism.
  18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    um....yeah... :confused:

so I'm thinking...I'm kinda partial to the 15" TiBook since I own one...actually my second one...

but honestly...I've always dug the look of the curent iBook...

all white...modern...clean...

hmm...goes along with my choices of the 17" iMac & the eMac in another thread...

but I do love my TiBook... :D :p
  19. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    I own a Pismo and I must say, the problem isnt the 400 G3... Its that stupid RAGE 128!
  20. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2003
    Western Hemisphere
    I'm partial to the Pismo a bit as I'm typing this message on one. I've had it for almost 3 years and it's still in GREAT condition and very sexy. The curves are very nice and the black helps it stand out in a crowd.

When the TiBook debuted I loved the look, but I was completely baffled that you couldn't have more than one battery. Two batteries in my Pismo is great.

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Al17, but it will still only have one battery. I can't imagine that it will last nearly as long as my Pismo. This machine has spoiled me so. 4 hours of use in high-performance with the screen dimmed. Screen dimming is the key to long life my friends.

I've yet to be a fan of any of the iBooks. Once my new PB gets here, I'll see if I'll change my vote.

For now - Pismo.
  21. peteMG macrumors member

Mar 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I can hot-swap batteries on my TiBook - just close the lid, swap out in 30 seconds or however long the backup battery lasts, and it's good to go. Two batteries gets me all the way from SFO to JFK.

It still gets the looks, too. Not-Black notebooks are relatively rare, compared to the windows bricks that are out there, and the screen still makes jaws drop. I'm sure the 17 will have an even greater impact. Can't tell you how many sales I've made for apple.. I wish I could get comission :p
  22. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    iBook 12" all the way...Ice, Ice Baby! I love mine, it still looks so cool and I still get complements on it daily!
  23. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2002
    You cannot find a pismo for $600...especially on ebay...unless it doesn't work properly.
  24. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2002
    I like all the pBooks since the Pismo...they are all damn nice...and the 12" icebook. I even like the "suburban chrome" look of my 12" pBook's keyboard. It reminds me of trying to spraypaint my bike frame chrome when I was a kid.
  25. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002

TiBook G4
    PowerBook G3 Series (not including Kanga)
    Duo 210-2300c
    PowerBook 100 (just because it was an awesome improvement over the Mac Portable that came before it)

I Had a Mac Protable at one point, but that was just a beast.