How about new iPods?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Falleron, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Ok, I have just sold my trusty Ipod. I am getting a new one. However, I am trying to work out if its worth waiting for the next generation or buy another 20Gb now??

Any ideas when new iPods will come out? What sort of features will they have?

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

My guess (which could be completely wrong!) is that we'll see some sort of iPod-related updates in April. Here are some different scenarios I could see happening:

- prices stay the same, capacities increase (possibly not likely since the capacity are fairly ample as they are right now and we just saw the 10 GB get updated to the 15 GB) There's always people who will want more space though, so I could see a jump from 20GB and 40GB to 40GB and 60GB...

- capacities stay the same, prices drop. I don't know how likely this is, but with the multitude of iPods sales as of late, and perhaps cheaper manufacturing processes, Apple might be able to afford a price drop on all the models.

- some combincaiton of the above, coupled with new features/slightly new form factor. I don't really know how much smaller and sleeker Apple would want to/could make the iPods, but if anyone can do it, leave it up to Jobs! As for new features, there's plenty of options - and who knows, a color screen might be one of them! (Still don't know how useful a color screen would be, but would be cool...)

- there are no updates to the iPods, just the iPod minis. This could be in the form of price drops or the introduction of another model, for instance, a 2GB model. The iPods themselves may not get updated at all.

So as I said, my prediction is that sometime in April we will see something like what I've described above. And updates are what I'm waiting on before I buy my new iPod, so hopefully they come soon!

3. unc32 macrumors regular

I'd guess that nothing is going to be coming out for awhile. Right now they are simply trying to ramp up production to meet the demand of the mini. that combined with the production needs of the ipod itself should be stretching the current ability to make ipods thin. Revamping the line at this point would be hard as it is going full steam with the mini, then you could run into delays in both product lines. It is best to focus on one product then shift to the other. Plus, this way you shift focus from one to the other. I'd imagine that the ipod morphs slowly into the mini as HD quickly scale in size. Just think, that 2 years ago the 5gb was the max, now it is 40. That will happen with the mini too and then full sized ipod will become a relic of the past.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

The HP version of the iPod will be coming out this summer. It is possible that Apple will update its version of the iPod to set it apart from the HP version, but I don't think that will happen. And the HP version is just ugly, IMO. And I do agree with UNC32, it doesn't seem like updates will come soon simply from the manufacturing stand point. It seems like it would be a huge juggling act for Apple with the iPod mini release, HP iPod project, and regular iPod updates all within a 4 month time period.

5. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Personally, I didn't think that much would be happening in the near future (apart from a combined button/wheel controller like the mini.). Maybe some way of changing batteries?

Think I will go ahead and get a new 20Gb version.

6. jigglyjon macrumors member

they will all be playing music correct? So unless you have ALOT more than 20gbs of music, then i would wait, but i doubt there is 20gbs of music that you listen to all the time. So i would buy now. I bought one two weeks ago and i love it.

7. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I had an old stye 20Gb of which I only used about 10Gb for music + the rest for storage / data transfer. I dont need anything bigger. I like how much smaller the current 20Gb iPods are compared to the previous generation iPods.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I like how much smaller my iPod Mini is compared to my iPod :D :D :D

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

You have two iPods? You, my friend, are a lucky man.

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I dont' think updated iPods are going to be updated any time soon. Mac users go crazy for updates - but even still, people like the current product. It doesn't *need* new gismos, as it serves its purpose quite well. Video?? not likely - small screen...unnecessary.

11. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I too am a proud owner of both a new silver mini and older 2nd gen 20 gig ipod.
    After using the mini for the past two days non-stop, I can honestly say that this thing blows my other ipod out of the water. The mini is smaller yet feels much sturdier. The scroll wheel redesign with the new buttons is ingenius. The screen although smaller, is easier to read due to the brighter screen. Well worth the price me thinks. I realize now I do not need two ipods so I am selling the older one to a co-worker.

12. JulesK macrumors 6502

The iPod Mini is the new iPod

I just took a look at the iPod Mini at the local Apple store, and in my view, it renders the old iPods obsolete were it not for their greater capacity. The feel and operation seemed so much nicer. Assuming that Apple can increase the capacity of these things to 15-20GB in the next 18-24 months, I suspect that only one or two really large capacity, "full-size" iPod models (40-80GB) will survive.

That said, if I had to buy an iPod today, it would be a tough choice since it's quite nice to be able to use the iPod as an emergency fire-wire HD, and having 11 extra Gigs for only $50 more makes it a touch call.

13. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

The next generation of iPods will be anodized aluminum like the minis and available in color as well. This will distinguish the Apple iPod from the HP iPod. It appears the anodized surface is more scratch-resistant than the chrome-backing of previous iPods and the slickness factor is second-to-none.

Also, I have a 2G 20 GB and I honestly prefer the scroll wheel/button combo on it compared to the buttons being set above like recent generation iPods. The one thing I like about current iPods is the dock and the position of the charger. I hate the way the power cord sticks up like an antenna on mine- I've got a thing about excess "cordage."

But I wouldn't expect brand new iPods until this summer (coinciding with the HP release). There are too many other products in dire need of revisions (read: cinema displays), not to mention speed bumps, a potential new "universe-denter," etc.

I. Lee

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I guess I'll just be waiting for the new anodized aluminum iPods then! I could totally see that being the next asthetic update for the iPods... :cool:

15. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Shard, I am only speculating on this. Don't hold me to it. You have to get what you need when you need it. I just feel that we won't be seeing any new iPods soon. The waiting game can drive you mad. 2 years ago, I waited for new iPods for 2 months before I finally caved in, said the hell with it and bought one. Well, they didn't end up getting updated for about 6-7 months. Like I said, don't hold me to this. I don't want you showing up at my front door at 3 A.M. with gin on your breath, mumbling nonsensicals and having a look of total confusion on your face.

On a side note, go check out the mini. It is unreal.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Heh heh - no worries Inspector, I'm not like that! I'm one of the guys who always says "buy when you need it" as well - my philosophy is, if you buy what you need, when you need it, you'll never be disappointed. Plus, if you're always waiting for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting!

Nope, I'm fine with whatever - if I need an iPod come April or May, I'll buy one regardless, but if I don't, I might just wait and see what the future holds. :cool: