how about political threads 'for the rest of us'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by takao, Sep 20, 2004.

1. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    i know, i know most members are US citizens but where did all the politics from other countries gone ?

perhaps i'm just too bored/annoyed with US election mud fighting...but i wonder if i just missed the other interesting topics... i haven't noticed a topic about the democracy/russia thing, same for EU-turkey or reccently the local elections in eastern germany with it's 'interesting' developments...

(but hey i like the gasoline thread)
  2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    Start one, takao! I'm interested in all the topics you mention. We tend to get caught up in the seemingly all-consuming topic of the US elections, but that doesn't mean folks this side of the Atlantic won't participate in other discussions.
  3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I agree, your opportunity to give impartial reporting from the heart europe.
    I would love the local story on the turn on the present german chancelor, and I know blair is under fire, what about chirac?

You have an eager audience!
  4. Rebel macrumors newbie

Nov 15, 2003
    Here is a story that the rest of the world is discussing. But, you will not find many discussions taking place in our country.

Job Recovery Not Coming

India is beginning negotiations with the World Trade Organization to ease visa restrictions for Indian professionals. There is some deal-making going on in Geneva . These Geneva talks are a framework for advancing the “Doha Round” of negotiations.

You cannot find much information about these talks in the U.S. press, but by using Google, you can see that in countries throughout the world the Geneva negotiations are very big news. Typically U.S. news does very little reporting on these important trade negotiations.

If the deal goes through, India will lift barriers to farm products and services. In this case, services would include allowing our banks and insurance companies to operate in India.

Developing countries, led by Brazil and India , agreed to lower barriers to manufactured goods and to services.

Of course, the U.S. has to give something in return. In this case, the sacrificial lamb will once again be the American middle-class. India wants unlimited access to our labor markets - and American companies would consider that a very good trade!

If the proposal goes through, the existing quantitative curbs on the movement of Indian engineers, software programmers, scientists, accountants, and other professionals to the US will be removed. This will translate into cheaper labor and more lost American jobs.
  5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    I think the re-introduction of international political threads in the political section is a good idea.

I would recommend that those already participating in this thread start new threads for their own questions/debates, instead of adding to this thread.
  6. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Excellent idea. Just don't expect many of us to be too well informed immediately. The US news seems to think we're the only story going. International news (outside of places we've invaded) usually is a 120 second blurb at best. Only a few of the good newspapers have any in-depth int'l reporting.

I'm looking forward to something other than US election crapola myself as well.
  7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    i'll chime in here too. Great idea. This is one of the strong suits of the internet in gaining knowledge of how people around the world are facing issues important to them, and in the end may affect the rest of the world.

Some issues may not affect the world as a whole, but also indicate changes in the way the country sees itself for the future. Like the fox hunt issue in the UK.