how accesible is my iMacs non-user accesible RAM?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slipper, Jan 6, 2004.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    hey guys and gals, i ordered RAM from crucial for both my iBook and my sisters iMac (17" G4 1.25ghz). im happy cause they got my RAM correct, however they sent the wrong RAM for my sister. i spoke to the directly when i ordered and the sales rep got me the wrong one, DIMM instead of the SO-DIMM. so instead of sending it back, im gonna give it a try. how hard is it to switch the 'user non-accesible' RAM?
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    DO NOT DO IT. Even if you can (which I have no idea how hard it might be, not easy I would imagine, it's porbably fixed to the logic board), you can wave good bye to your warrenty and any Apple support.
  3. rock6079 macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    not that hard

actually it isnt thast hard at all. unfortunatly i do not have any specific details for you but i do know in a recent macaddict mag they had a whole section on the insides of macs. obviously one of them was the imac. it gave good instructions on how to safely do this. but as edesignuk said it will void your warrenty so proceed with caution
  4. Spock macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
  5. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2002
    It is not that hard. I did it with minimal instruction from the friendly people at J&R computer world. You just have to be careful when you pop out the bottom. It would be help you out a bit to have a friend there to support the base, but not necessary (I did it by myself)...