How am I connected to internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caezar, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2004
    Between a rock and a hard place
    I have a strange experience. I have been wirelessly connected to the internet for months without any problem.

Recently, the Airport icon on the menu on top of the screen stopped to show a signal and started to tell me Airport is Off.

When I go to InternetConnect, it tells me there is no signal. I try to find my network, but no network is available. The status of Airport is not available...

My iMac is not connected to the internet through any cable. I also turned off bluetooth.

And yet I am still connected to the internet, as if Airport was still working. What is going on? :confused:
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    When you go into System Preferences>>Network, what does the Network Status screen show you? Is your Airport interface shown?
  3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    system glitch. call applecare if u don't want a re-installation of OSX.

wait to see if other smart guys have any suggestions.
  4. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2004
    Between a rock and a hard place
    Ah yes, the Systems Preference panel tells me I am connected to my network/router through Airport.

Why is the icon on the menu bar (the one next to the date and time, the bluetooth logo and the input manager) showing no signal then?
  5. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2006
    I find that sometimes the network panel will say that you're connected to Airport even if there's no signal. I'm presuming that there might still be some minimal connection, even if no bars are shown, but not enough for actual data transfer.

I'm not sure what the reason is, but that's what I've found - that it will sometimes indicate a connection even without an actual signal.
  6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    The internet is everywhere now, you don't even need to want the internet for it to infest your house via small wood-louse like creatures.

:D :p